A passenger train is traveling at 27 m/s when the engineer s

In summary, the problem involves a passenger train traveling at 27 m/s and a freight train traveling at 5.9 m/s on the same track. The passenger train must maintain a minimum (constant) rate of deceleration in order to avoid a collision with the freight train, given a reaction time of 0.39 s for the engineer. The attempt at solving the problem involved setting the equations for distance and time equal to each other and using the quadratic equation to find the minimum acceleration magnitude, but this approach was marked wrong. It is recommended to post the actual calculations for assistance in identifying and correcting any errors.
argpirate

Homework Statement

A passenger train is traveling at 27 m/s when the engineer sees a freight train 366 m ahead of his train traveling in the same direction on the same track. The freight train is moving at a speed of 5.9 m/s.
(a) If the reaction time of the engineer is 0.39 s, what is the minimum (constant) rate at which the passenger train must lose speed if a collision is to be avoided?

Homework Equations

dx=vt+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set the dx=dx and solve for t using the quadratic equation. Then, since we are solving for minimum maginitude of decceleration I set the discriminant (containing 'a') equal to zero so I would get the smallest acceleration magnitude and a real time. But it was marked wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
argpirate said:

Homework Statement

A passenger train is traveling at 27 m/s when the engineer sees a freight train 366 m ahead of his train traveling in the same direction on the same track. The freight train is moving at a speed of 5.9 m/s.
(a) If the reaction time of the engineer is 0.39 s, what is the minimum (constant) rate at which the passenger train must lose speed if a collision is to be avoided?

Homework Equations

dx=vt+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set the dx=dx and solve for t using the quadratic equation. Then, since we are solving for minimum maginitude of decceleration I set the discriminant (containing 'a') equal to zero so I would get the smallest acceleration magnitude and a real time. But it was marked wrong.
It would be better if you posted your actual calculations, rather than describe verbally the procedure you followed.

but i did it wrong. If you do it the same way, you will know you did it wrong like me when you read it

argpirate said:
but i did it wrong. If you do it the same way, you will know you did it wrong like me when you read it
But that's the thing. You want someone to tell you what you did wrong. How is anyone able to do this without checking your actual work? You may have used the wrong procedure, you may have made an arithmetic mistake, etc.

This is Physics Forums, not Psychics Forums. There's no shame in posting erroneous calculations here; people do it all the time.

i am sure i did it wrong. I just want to know how to do it right.

Related to A passenger train is traveling at 27 m/s when the engineer s

1. What is the initial velocity of the train?

The initial velocity of the train is 27 m/s.

2. How fast is the train traveling?

The train is traveling at a speed of 27 m/s.

3. What is the role of the engineer in the train's movement?

The engineer is responsible for controlling the train's speed and direction, as well as ensuring the safety of the passengers and cargo.

4. How does the train's speed affect its stopping distance?

The train's speed directly affects its stopping distance. The faster the train is traveling, the longer the stopping distance will be.

5. What are the factors that can influence the train's speed?

The train's speed can be influenced by various factors such as the weight of the train, the power of the engine, the condition of the tracks, and external forces like wind or inclines on the track.