A Physics Forum Member in King Arthur's Court

DaveC426913
Gold Member
When watchiig historical shows, I often find myself musing about how I might survive in those times - from a time traveler point of view. ie. I appear with only my own current 21st century layperson's knowledge. Can I substantially improve the livelihood and survival rate of the community I find myself in (without getting burned as a witch)?

Helpful things might include mechanical labour-saving technology, healthcare habits and personal hygiene. It would remain to be seen if enough people would actually listen to me to make a difference, but that's just part of the "Mary Sue" trope that goes without saying.

The most common and obvious joumey is to, say, London in the 16th century or thereabouts. Do I know enough about Bubonic Plague to save my neighorbhood or village?
  • I would urge the villagers to chase away or kill all the rats, as they carry fleas with the plague. I don't think I know enough to help them should they get sick.
  • I would urge them to wash hands daily and bathe weekly.
  • I would try very hard to make penicillin.
  • I would urge the use of clean water.
  • I would also try to make firebreaks between buildings so as to stave off massive wild fires.
What would you do? What improvements (if any) do you think would be highest priority?
Do you think you could do it without revealing how you know so much "I'm from the future. No wait. Put down those pitchforks." - or why they really need to listen to you even if it goes against their own experience?

Do you think it would be useful to explain to them about the tiny animalcules that get in their food and their water and their wounds?

OK, that's 500 years past. What about 5000? Very different priorities I imagine.

Discuss!

Likes AlexB23
Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone in a community has their place. The presence of a free person, an agent from somewhere unknown, would get you quickly arrested. You will need others to face the public, and take the fall. Keep your head down, below the parapet.

Seek out those who might do your work for you, show them the magic trick or ritual, and point out the surprising real benefits. Allow their greed to do your work for you. Tell them they are the only one, and will get all the credit for the discovery, and to see how far they can take it.

Now tell that secretly to three people to encourage competition, to prevent stagnation of the novelty. You will need to hide your activity, to explain why so often, several people will "independently" come up with the same idea at the same time. So explain the concept of "morphic resonance" to three people, to disguise your widespread activities.

OK, that's the how. I was more interested in the what.

What would you try to improve?

When?

King Arthur is said to have ruled between about 500 AD and 550 AD. That is after the collapse of the Roman period in Britain. Arthur was followed by the Vikings, then by the Norman Conquest in AD 1066. That period from 500 AD to 1066 is referred to as the Dark Ages, mainly because records from the church and state of that period were lost.

Science and then Isaac Newton developed in the "Age of Reason and Enlightenment" following the Reformation of the Church of England in about 1530, which dispelled control by Catholicism and the Pope.

Are you setting the challenge;
1. In Arthurian times of the early Dark Ages, circa 550 AD, or;
2. In the Catholic times between 1066 through to 1530, or;
3. In the time of the Reformation, that is about 500 years ago, or;
4. Helping during the later scientific and industrial revolution ?

I was rounding it to 500 years ago but I'm easy. Do you think there would be a lot of difference between 500AD, 1000AD and 1500AD?

DaveC426913 said:
When watchiig historical shows, I often find myself musing about how I might survive in those times - from a time traveler point of view. ie. I appear with only my own current 21st century layperson's knowledge. Can I substantially improve the livelihood and survival rate of the community I find myself in (without getting burned as a witch)?

Helpful things might include mechanical labour-saving technology, healthcare habits and personal hygiene. It would remain to be seen if enough people would actually listen to me to make a difference, but that's just part of the "Mary Sue" trope that goes without saying.

The most common and obvious joumey is to, say, London in the 16th century or thereabouts. Do I know enough about Bubonic Plague to save my neighorbhood or village?
  • I would urge the villagers to chase away or kill all the rats, as they carry fleas with the plague. I don't think I know enough to help them should they get sick.
  • I would urge them to wash hands daily and bathe weekly.
  • I would try very hard to make penicillin.
  • I would urge the use of clean water.
  • I would also try to make firebreaks between buildings so as to stave off massive wild fires.
What would you do? What improvements (if any) do you think would be highest priority?
Do you think you could do it without revealing how you know so much "I'm from the future. No wait. Put down those pitchforks." - or why they really need to listen to you even if it goes against their own experience?

Do you think it would be useful to explain to them about the tiny animalcules that get in their food and their water and their wounds?

OK, that's 500 years past. What about 5000? Very different priorities I imagine.

Discuss!
If I ever found myself transported through time to 16th century London or ancient civilizations 5,000 years past, there would be have two main goals: survive without getting burned at the stake, and make a positive impact on my newfound community. Easier said than done. In 16th century London, my first order of business would be to tackle the Bubonic Plague and those pesky fires that seemed to ravage the city. Later, maybe try to convince the locals to ditch their flea-ridden rats, wash their hands daily (a novel concept, I'm sure), and drink clean water. And, of course, advocating for firebreaks between buildings – because who needs a medieval inferno?

But here's the thing: I would not exactly be able to whip out my Samsung Galaxy A54 and Google "plague prevention" or "fire safety tips" (cos there would be no cell service back then), I'd have to rely on my layperson's knowledge and hope that the locals wouldn't think I was a warlock (or worse, a know-it-all). So, I would attribute my bright ideas to "traveling scholars" or "wise men from afar" – because who wouldn't trust a mysterious stranger with a fancy beard? When explaining germs, I would use analogies like "tiny bad seeds" or "spoiled food" – no need to get too scientific. And if I found myself in ancient Mesopotamia or Egypt, I'd focus on more basic (but no less crucial) needs: water storage, food preservation, and tool making.

It is a delicate balance, but I think it is possible to make a real difference in the past without getting ostracized or, you know, killed. By being mindful of local customs, building relationships, and demonstrating tangible benefits, a time traveler might just earn the right to stick around. And who knows? Maybe even get to enjoy a pint of ale at the local tavern, plague-free and without worrying about the roof catching fire. Now that's what I call a successful time-traveling adventure.