A pipe, a string, and resonance

In summary, to adjust the stopped pipe so that its sound causes the wire to vibrate in its second overtone with very large amplitude, the length of the pipe should be 0.1048 meters. This can be calculated by using the speed of sound in air (344 m/s) and the equation λ = (2/3)l for a string in its second overtone. The previous calculation using λ = l for the first overtone was incorrect.
alexfloo

Homework Statement

You have a stopped pipe of adjustable length close to a taut 85.0-cm, 7.25-g wire under a tension of 4150*N. You want to adjust the length of the pipe so that, when it produces sound at its fundamental frequency, this sound causes the wire to vibrate in its second overtone with very large amplitude.

How long should the pipe be?

Homework Equations

We are to assume that the speed of sound = 344 m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken to typing out all my work for these problems so I'm just going to copy-paste.

l = 0.85 m m = 0.00725 kg
λ = l = 0.85 m for a string in it's second overtone, fixed at both ends.
m = 0.00725 kg

And the wavespeed in the string,
v = sqrt(Tl/m)
= 697.5325972 m/s

And,
v = λf
f = v/λ
= 820.6265849 Hz

Now, the fundamental of the pipe:
λ = 4L for a pipe stopped at one end.

And the wavespeed therein is equal to the speed of sound in air, so
v = λf
f = 344/(4L)
= 86/L

Essentially, we want L such that

86/L = 820.6265849 Hz
L = 86/820.6265849 m
= 0.1047979697 m

There's my answer, but the online homework system says nay. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the error lies in your length-wavelength equation for a standing wave's "second overtone". A "second overtone" has four nodes and three antinodes. So λ = (2/3)l.

Thanks a lot! I was erroneously considering the fundamental to be the first overtone.

Related to A pipe, a string, and resonance

What is resonance?

Resonance is the phenomenon that occurs when an object vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force. This can cause the object to amplify its vibrations, resulting in a louder and more sustained sound.

How does a pipe produce resonance?

A pipe produces resonance when air is blown across its opening, causing the air inside to vibrate at its natural frequency. This creates a standing wave pattern, which produces a distinct sound.

What is the role of a string in resonance?

A string is an essential component in resonance as it can vibrate at different frequencies depending on its length, tension, and mass. When a string is plucked or strummed, it produces a specific sound based on its natural frequency of vibration.

Can resonance be observed in other objects besides pipes and strings?

Yes, resonance can be observed in various objects, including musical instruments, buildings, and even bridges. Any object that can vibrate at a natural frequency can exhibit resonance.

How is resonance used in science and technology?

Resonance has many practical applications in science and technology, such as in musical instruments, speakers, and MRI machines. It is also used in engineering, such as in designing bridges and buildings to withstand potential resonance vibrations.