A point between 2 magnets, what remains constant at that point?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of different materials on the magnetic and electric fields between two fixed magnets or charges. The speaker questions whether the H or B will remain the same when different materials are placed between the magnets, and whether the same applies for E and D between two charges. The expert summarizer explains that both B and H will change in the vicinity of the material, and both will also change inside the material. Similarly, for E and D, the fields will vary depending on the material. The expert also notes that only the magnetic motive force (MMF) and electric motive force (EMF) are fundamental drivers, while B, H, E, and D are not. Finally, the speaker gives an example of a
ugenetic
a fixed spatial point between 2 fixed magnets. if I place different blocks of material on that point, is the H that will remain the same? or is it the B? or just the MMF (magnetic motive force), while B and H will always change depend on the material placed?

the same question for E, D, and EMF between 2 fixed charges.

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry, I don't understand, was the question itself too naive? but I m just asking for a "yes" or "no" really. I was trying to understand the medium independent, fundamental driven force of E or M field.

It depends on the shape and orientation of the material.
Usually, both B and H will change in the vicinity of the material.

Likes 1 person
And, both B and H will change at the point of interest INSIDE of the material as well right? The same applies for E and D too right?

So, none of B or H or E or D are "fundamental qualities". Only the EMF and MMF are. Meaning: only MMF ( N*i) is the fundamental "driver", while B and H will vary with the properties of different materials.

I was looking at a solenoid with an iron core inside. the iron core has an air gap inside. once the MMF was turned on, a constant flux will flow thru the core and air gap (ignore fringing), so B's are the same for air gap and core but H's are different.
I am guessing some similar situations would apply for E and D as well. D will remain the same thru out different materials but E actually varies.

At a fixed spatial point between two fixed magnets, the magnetic field strength (B) will remain constant. This is because the magnetic field is a property of the magnets themselves and is not affected by the material placed between them. The magnetic motive force (MMF) will also remain constant, as it is determined by the strength and distance between the magnets.

Similarly, at a fixed point between two fixed charges, the electric field strength (E) and electric displacement (D) will remain constant. These are properties of the charges and are not affected by the material placed between them. The electromotive force (EMF) will also remain constant, as it is determined by the charges and their distance from each other.

In both cases, the material placed between the magnets or charges may affect the overall strength of the magnetic or electric field, but the specific values of B, H, E, D, MMF, and EMF at a fixed point will remain constant.

Related to A point between 2 magnets, what remains constant at that point?

What is the significance of a point between 2 magnets?

The point between 2 magnets is known as the neutral point, where the magnetic forces of the 2 magnets cancel each other out.

What is the strength of the magnetic field at the neutral point?

At the neutral point, the strength of the magnetic field is zero as the forces of the 2 magnets cancel each other out.

Does the distance between the 2 magnets affect the neutral point?

Yes, the distance between the 2 magnets does affect the location of the neutral point. The closer the magnets are, the closer the neutral point will be to the magnets.

What happens to the neutral point if one of the magnets is stronger than the other?

If one of the magnets is stronger than the other, the neutral point will shift towards the weaker magnet as the stronger magnet will have a greater influence on the magnetic field.

Can the neutral point be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as the presence of other magnets or magnetic materials can affect the neutral point by altering the magnetic forces between the 2 magnets.