A practical question about thermodynamics

In summary, the author recommends adding cream to coffee as soon as possible to slow the cooling process and preserve the coffee's heat. Adding sugar will not have a significant impact on the temperature.
KFC
Today, I read a short essay from a magazine about how to preserve the coffee as hot as possible in a short time (if you don't want to drink it right away) by adding the cream into it as soon as possible. It reads: if you add the cream soon, some amount of heat being transferred to the cream so the temperature b/w the coffee and air will be decreased, this is also make the convection process slower. I am thinking ... what about the sugar? In this sense, should I also add the sugar asap (without stirring of course)? And of course, if I use a black cup instead of light-color one, it will also help to preserve the temperature a bit due to radiation, right? What about the color of cream, will dark one better than light one?

Science news on Phys.org
Adding the cream will cool the coffee.
The rate of cooling is proportional to the temperature difference between the coffee and surroundings.
So the coffee cools fastest when it is hottest, as it cools the temperature difference is less and the cooling is slower. That might be what you are thinking about by adding the cream first.

To keep it hot the longest you need to reduce the mecahnisms for heat loss.
Conduction - that's why you use a styrofoam cup.
Radiation - probably not a major factor at these temperatures, but a shiny cup will help.
Convection - the hot coffee is at the top, not much you can do about this except put the lid on which stops hot air escaping.

Good explanation. Thanks a lot. From your clue, will we use a cup with dark color is better? What about the color the cream being added? I discussed this problem with my friend, he said we should also add the sugar soon (the reason is just like that of adding cream), but I think we shouldn't because sugar will absorb too much heat to dissolve, it will low the temperature too much. What do you think?

Sugar will absorb some heat to dissolve, the heat of solution of sucrose is - 16.1 J/g
A teaspoon of sugar will take in about 80J, it takes 4200J to cool a Kg of water by 1degC
So this will cool a large cup of coffee by about 0.05deg C

Regarding color, no, dark is worse because dark colors radiate heat more efficiently than light ones. This is why good coffee thermoses are polished metal on the inside (plus glass and a vacuum): to block radiation.

Related to A practical question about thermodynamics

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

There are four laws of thermodynamics, but the first two are the most commonly referenced. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

3. How is thermodynamics used in practical applications?

Thermodynamics is used in a variety of practical applications, such as designing engines and power plants, developing refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and understanding chemical reactions and processes.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat refers to the transfer of energy between two objects due to a temperature difference, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of that energy.

5. Can thermodynamics be applied to living systems?

Yes, thermodynamics can be applied to living systems. In fact, the study of thermodynamics in biological systems is known as bioenergetics. This field helps to understand how living organisms use and transform energy in order to survive and function.