A problem about differentiability

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving a function that oscillates between -1 and 1 and the statement that its derivative and second derivative cannot both be large at the same time. The solution involves considering a point where the function and its derivative are both positive and determining how quickly the derivative needs to decrease to reach 0, given the constraint that its square plus the square of the second derivative is less than 1.
rasi
i tried to solve this problem. i can do it a little. but i can't progress. as far as I'm concerned, it requires outstanding performance. thanks for now...
PROBLEM
5625.jpg

MY SOLUTION...
5625_ms_s.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
This is pretty tricky (unless I missed something clever). Think about this geometrically: we know that f(x) is oscillating between -1 and 1 in some fashion. The statement
[tex] f'(x)^2+f''(x)^2 \leq 1[/tex]
says that the derivative of f and the second derivative cannot both be big at the same time. So for example if f'(x) is big when f(x) is near 1, it won't be able to decrease fast enough (because f''(x) is small) to prevent f(x) from crossing the value of 1, which gives a contradiction.

The question then is how to put this into something more rigorous. Suppose we're at a point a for which f(a)2+f'(a)2>1. The picture you should have in your head (not something you should assume but something to give you an idea of wha's going on) is f(a) and f'(a) both positive. Then f is going to eventually reach the value of 1 unless f'(x) decreases and is eventually 0. So the question that you need to answer: how fast can f'(x) decrease to reach 0, given that f'(x)2+f''(x)2<1?

Mod note: This is obviously not a precalc problem, so moving it to the Calculus & Beyond section.

FAQ: A problem about differentiability

1. What is the definition of differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function. A function is said to be differentiable at a point if the slope of the function at that point can be defined by a tangent line.

2. Why is differentiability important?

Differentiability is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function at a specific point. It also enables us to find the rate of change or slope of a function at a given point, which is useful in many applications such as optimization, physics, and engineering.

3. What are the conditions for differentiability?

The main condition for differentiability is that the limit of the difference quotient (also known as the derivative) exists as the distance between two points on the function approaches zero. In other words, the function must be continuous and have a defined slope at the point in question.

4. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable. This can occur when there is a sharp turn or a corner in the function, where the slope changes suddenly and does not have a defined value at that point. An example of this is the absolute value function, which is continuous but not differentiable at x=0.

5. How is differentiability related to the concept of limits?

Differentiability is closely related to the concept of limits. In fact, the derivative of a function at a point is defined as the limit of the difference quotient as the distance between two points approaches zero. Differentiability is essentially the property of a function that allows us to take the limit of the difference quotient and obtain a well-defined value.