A problem on Diophantine Analysis.

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathbalarka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, you have discovered a partial solution to the diophantine form kX^2 + lY^3 + mZ^5 = 0 over \mathbb{Q}^3 using elliptic modular methods. However, it is uncertain if this parameterization holds true for all values of k, l, and m, and the connection to the Icosahedral identity and icoshardal invariants needs further exploration.
mathbalarka
I was toying around recently with diophantine forms \(\displaystyle kX^2 + lY^3 + mZ^5 = 0\) over \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}^3\).

After a complex bit of elliptic modular methods applied at it, I managed to (partially) solve a special case (k, l, m) = (1, 1, -1728). The parameterization I found is a triple of 11, 20 and 30 degree homogeneous polynomials (\(\displaystyle u, v \in \mathbb{Q}\)):

\(\displaystyle X = u^{30} + v^{30} + 522(u^{25}v^5 - u^5v^{25}) - 10005(u^{20}v^{10} + u^{10}v^{20}) \\ Y = -u^{20} - v^{20} + 228(u^{15}v^5 - u^5v^{15}) - 494u^{10}v^{10} \\ Z = uv(u^{10} + 11 u^5 v^5 - v^{10}) \)

Indeed, I realized just a few hours ago, that this is the Icosahedral identity and the polynomials are, indeed the icoshardal invariants in homogeneous form. These are, of course, no coincidence which I understood after taking a look at my 9-page calculations.

My question is whether this particular parameterization is the general solution to the diophantine form of interest. I cannot seem to be able to extract that particular property from my calculations, even if it represents many interesting facts.

Thanks in advanced,
Balarka

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello Balarka,

Thank you for sharing your findings on the diophantine form kX^2 + lY^3 + mZ^5 = 0 over \mathbb{Q}^3. It is impressive that you were able to partially solve the special case (k, l, m) = (1, 1, -1728) using elliptic modular methods. Your parameterization of X, Y, and Z as triple of 11, 20 and 30 degree homogeneous polynomials (u, v \in \mathbb{Q}) is indeed interesting.

However, I would caution against assuming that this particular parameterization is the general solution to the diophantine form. It is possible that it may only be a solution for this specific special case, and not for all values of k, l, and m. It would be beneficial to continue exploring and testing your parameterization for different values of k, l, and m to see if it holds true.

I am also curious about the connection you mentioned between your parameterization and the Icosahedral identity and icoshardal invariants. It would be helpful if you could provide more information or references on these concepts for better understanding.

Overall, your findings are definitely interesting and worth further investigation. Keep up the good work!

Related to A problem on Diophantine Analysis.

1. What is Diophantine Analysis?

Diophantine Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of Diophantine equations, which are polynomial equations with integer coefficients. These equations are named after the Greek mathematician Diophantus who was known for his work in this area.

2. What is the main goal of Diophantine Analysis?

The main goal of Diophantine Analysis is to find integer solutions to Diophantine equations. This can be a challenging task as there may not always be a solution, and even when there is, it may be difficult to find.

3. What are some real-world applications of Diophantine Analysis?

Diophantine Analysis has various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and number theory. It is also used in the study of elliptic curves, which have important applications in cryptography and coding.

4. How is Diophantine Analysis different from other branches of mathematics?

Diophantine Analysis is unique in that it focuses solely on equations with integer solutions, whereas other branches of mathematics may deal with real or complex numbers. It also involves techniques and methods that are specific to solving Diophantine equations.

5. What are some famous Diophantine equations?

One of the most famous Diophantine equations is Fermat's Last Theorem, which states that there are no integer solutions to the equation xn + yn = zn for n > 2. Another well-known equation is the Pythagorean theorem, a2 + b2 = c2, which has infinitely many integer solutions.