A problem on rotational mechanics

In summary, the problem involves a uniform solid sphere rolling without slipping on a rough horizontal surface and then encountering a rough inclined plane. The goal is to find the angular velocity 'n' in terms of the initial angular velocity 'w'. The suggested approach is to use conservation of energy.
nikhilnagaraj

Homework Statement

A uniform solid sphere of radius R rolling on a rough horizontal surface without slipping, with an angular velocity 'w' meets a rough inclined plane of inclination 60degrees. The sphere continues to roll up the plane without slipping with an angular velocity 'n' given by ______________ (in terms of w)

(Please refer the attachment for the diagram)

Homework Equations

I GUESS,
L =Iw , K=.5 Iw^2 , I.is moment of inertia.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this problem requires Conservation of angular momentum , but I do not know how to start or where to apply the principle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
nikhilnagaraj said:

Homework Statement

A uniform solid sphere of radius R rolling on a rough horizontal surface without slipping, with an angular velocity 'w' meets a rough inclined plane of inclination 60degrees. The sphere continues to roll up the plane without slipping with an angular velocity 'n' given by ______________ (in terms of w)

(Please refer the attachment for the diagram)

Homework Equations

I GUESS,
L =Iw , K=.5 Iw^2 , I.is moment of inertia.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this problem requires Conservation of angular momentum , but I do not know how to start or where to apply the principle.

Welcome to the PF.

Try using conservation of energy instead... :smile:

Related to A problem on rotational mechanics

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating around a fixed axis. It involves the study of the forces and torques that act on rotating objects and how they affect their motion.

2. What are some real-world examples of rotational mechanics?

Some common examples of rotational mechanics include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a bicycle wheel, and the movement of a Ferris wheel. Other examples include the rotation of planets and celestial bodies in space, as well as the motion of gears and other rotating machinery.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion occurs when an object moves in a circular path around a fixed axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion involves the concept of torque, which is a rotational force, while linear motion involves the concept of linear force.

4. What is the equation for calculating rotational motion?

The equation for rotational motion is τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This equation states that the torque acting on an object is equal to its moment of inertia multiplied by its angular acceleration.

5. How is rotational motion used in everyday life?

Rotational motion is used in many everyday objects and activities, such as driving a car, using a screwdriver, or playing sports like golf or baseball. It is also important in understanding natural phenomena, such as the rotation of the Earth on its axis and the orbit of the moon around the Earth. Furthermore, rotational motion is essential in the design and operation of many machines and devices, such as motors, turbines, and gyroscopes.

Back