A problem regarding power output in cycling

martonhorvath
TL;DR Summary
I would need some help verifying my approach to a problem in Newtonian mechanics with a practical approach. Any additional insights are welcome as well!
Hi!

As written in the summary, I would like to get feedback about my approach to an issue I wanted to explore. In the example I am using cycling, but principally the same theory would apply to similar sports as well.

So, the problem was that I wanted to investigate whether the athletes' W/kg ratio or W/CdA ratio matters more in different scenarios. Of course, the answer should be highly incline- and speed-dependent.
To solve the question, I wanted to express a threshold incline (##\alpha##) at which the ratio of ##P_{gravitational} = P_{air}##, accepting the preconception that W/kg will 'matter' more in terms of performance if power against gravity is greater than power against air resistance.

So when expressing power as ##P = P_{gravity} + P_{rolling res.} + P_{air}##, (not accounting for minor losses such as loss due to the friction of the drivetrain), my initial equation looked like this:

$$\frac {P-P_{rolling}} {2} = P_{grav} = P_{air}$$

as follows:

$$\frac {P - C_{rr} mg cos(\alpha)} {2} = mg sin(\alpha) = 0.5 × C_{d}A×\rho×v^3$$

where m is the weight of the cyclist, ##C_{rr}## is the rolling resistance coefficient, etc.

When expressing P, it follows that:

$$P = mg(2sin(\alpha) + C_{rr}cos(\alpha))$$

$$\frac {P} {mg} = 2sin(\alpha) + C_{rr}cos(\alpha))$$

let's define ##k= \frac {P} {mg}##, so the equation can be expressed as:

$$k = \sqrt {4 + C_{rr}^2} (\frac {2} {\sqrt {4+C_{rr}^2}} × sin(\alpha) + \frac {C_{rr}} {\sqrt {4+C_{rr}^2}} × cos(\alpha))$$.

If ##R = \sqrt {4 + C_{rr}^2}##, ##cos(\beta) = \frac {2} {R}## and ##sin(\beta) = \frac {\mu} {R}##,

$$k = R(sin(\alpha)cos(\beta)+cos(\alpha)sin(\beta)$$.

After sine addition:

$$k = R × sin(\alpha+\beta) $$

$$\alpha = arcsin(\frac {k} {R} - \beta)$$

where $$\beta = arctan (\frac {C_{rr}} {2})$$

therefore

$$\alpha = arcsin (\frac {\frac {P} {mg}} {\sqrt {4+C_{rr}}}) - arctan (\frac {C_{rr}} {2})$$

Can someone validate my initial thoughts and assure me that my calculations are correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
martonhorvath said:
So, the problem was that I wanted to investigate whether the athletes' W/kg ratio or W/CdA ratio matters more in different scenarios.
Can you please define your terms?

Likes hutchphd
##C_{d}A## - coefficient of air drag, ##C_{rr}## - rolling resistance, ##P## - overall power output, ##\alpha## - incline, ##\rho## - density of air, ##m## - weight of the cyclists. I think everything else should be trivial or explained in the original post.

• Skeptical
Likes Juanda
martonhorvath said:
##C_{d}A## - coefficient of air drag, ##C_{rr}## - rolling resistance, ##P## - overall power output, ##\alpha## - incline, ##\rho## - density of air, ##m## - weight of the cyclists. I think everything else should be trivial or explained in the original post.
Related to the part highlighted by you, these are supposed to be metrics describing performance. Power output normalized to body weight (W/kg) and power normalized to the coefficient of air drag (##W/C_{d}A##).

I realized that I left out multiplication by ##v## on the right side in the beginning when typing my post. Therefore the correct expression for ##\alpha## should look like as:

$$\alpha = arcsin(\frac {P} {mgv\sqrt {4+\mu^2}}) - arctan(\frac {\mu} {2})$$

Let me first say things are not as clear in the post as you (@martonhorvath ) may think. At least I'm not sure of what I'm reading and @berkeman raised the same concern. That works against you because it makes discussing this situation much harder. Whenever creating these posts I'd recommend uploading a diagram of what you are trying to model. From what you have described, this is what I believe you're trying to model.

(As a simplification, I'll treat the cyclist as a block. I'll assume all forces are passing through the center of mass anyway so the shape is irrelevant)

1719953541314.png

Where:
  • ##F_m## is the motorization force. What the cyclist would be doing to go uphill.
  • ##mg## is the weight.
  • ##N## is the normal force stopping it from going through the floor.
  • ##F_{Cd}## is the friction with the air.
  • ##F_\mu## is the friction with the ground.
  • ##\dot{x}## is the velocity of the cyclist and will be considered constant.
Your objective is to check for the necessary ##F_m## to fulfill the condition of constant velocity and then check how that relates to certain ratios.

Is that an accurate description of your objective?

If it is, that diagram should already help you set up / verify the equations. You can do it either with Newton or through conservation of energy (power generated = power dissipated).
I honestly tried following your equations step by step and I make sense out of them. Either they are wrong or the path you chose to solve it is so different from what I have in my head now that it doesn't make sense to me at the moment.

martonhorvath said:
##m## - weight of the cyclists.
##m## is weight or mass? What are the units of measure?

martonhorvath said:
Related to the part highlighted by you, these are supposed to be metrics describing performance. Power output normalized to body weight (W/kg) and power normalized to the coefficient of air drag (##W/C_{d}A##).
##W## is weight or power? You've used ##P## for power elsewhere.

martonhorvath said:
TL;DR Summary: I would need some help verifying my approach to a problem in Newtonian mechanics with a practical approach. Any additional insights are welcome as well!

As written in the summary, I would like to get feedback about my approach to an issue I wanted to explore. In the example I am using cycling, but principally the same theory would apply to similar sports as well.

So, the problem was that I wanted to investigate whether the athletes' W/kg ratio or W/CdA ratio matters more in different scenarios. Of course, the answer should be highly incline- and speed-dependent.

So beyond you hopefully clarifying the variables and unit in your posts, it sounds like you want to compare the difficulty of a headwind versus a hill climb for a cyclist (and similar athletic events). One approach might be to equate the hindrance and extra effort to ride into a headwind of a certain velocity to the extra effort required for an equivalent percent grade of a hillclimb.

I have climbed lots of hills on my bikes, and had the misfortune to ride into some crazy headwinds. Which to you think I found more difficult? :wink:

Back