A project with some math questions just need to know how to do them

• Thread starter kevinlikesphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses a project that involves solving several problems related to distance and period of planets in our solar system. The data provided is in the form of a table and the goal is to determine the type of equation that best models the data, as well as finding the approximate orbit period and distance from the sun for specific scenarios. The conversation also mentions using a graph and Kepler's Laws to assist with solving the problems. The final conclusion is that the person asking for help has figured out the solution with the help of a calculator.
kevinlikesphysics
ok i have a few long problems that are part of project i just need to know how to go about solving them i don't expect anyone to do it for me but here it is

Distance(AU)|0.39 | 0.72 | 1.00 | 1.49 | 5.19 | 9.51 |19.1 | 30.0 | 39.3
Period(days) | 88 | 225 | 365 | 687 | 4344 | 10775 |30681 |60267 | 90582
^^
that is suposed to be a table

a - state whether in data is quadratic,cubi or quartic. Write the equation that best models the data. State the R squared value.

b - When a planet is 15(AU) from the sun, what is its approximate orbit period?

c - If a planet has an orbit period of 69,000 days, what is its approximate distance from the sun?

all the questions are like that but if anyone can tell me how to do this one i should be fine; thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Draw a graph!

b) Look up Kepler's Laws! Or use the properties you found in (a)!

c) See (b).

so would the slope be distance of period and no y intercept?

I don't understand the question.

me either that's why i posted it

but would distance be x and period be y?

No, I meant I don't understand your question:

so would the slope be distance of period and no y intercept?

As to your new question:

but would distance be x and period be y?

the answer is "yes!"

i figured it out i had to use the calculator i don't need anyhelp anymore thanks though

Related to A project with some math questions just need to know how to do them

1. How do I approach a project with math questions?

When starting a project with math questions, it is important to carefully read and understand the questions before attempting to solve them. Make sure to also gather all necessary information and resources before beginning, such as formulas, equations, and data.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a math question?

If you are stuck on a math question, it is best to take a step back and review the question and your approach. If you are still having trouble, try breaking the question down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

3. How can I check my work for accuracy?

To check your work for accuracy, you can use a calculator, online math tools, or even ask a friend to verify your answer. It is also important to double-check the steps and calculations you used to reach your answer.

4. What is the best way to organize my work for a math project?

Organizing your work for a math project is crucial for staying organized and preventing mistakes. It is recommended to write out all steps and calculations neatly, label each step clearly, and use proper mathematical notation throughout.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for math questions?

To improve your problem-solving skills for math questions, practice is key. Try solving a variety of math problems from different sources and challenge yourself with more difficult questions. You can also seek guidance and feedback from a teacher or tutor to help identify areas for improvement.