A pulley with a mass on a string

In summary, the problem involves a cable with length 5 m attached to points A and C, and the task is to calculate the values of x and tension by treating the pulley as a point and drawing a free body diagram around it. There is a discussion about the validity of this approach and a suggestion to model the problem as a mass attached to the cable with a frictionless knot instead of a pulley.
Biker

Homework Statement

Problem: ABC is a cable with length 5 m attached to both a and c. By neglecting the dimensions of the pulley, and if the pulley is stationary, Calculate:
1) x
2) Tension[/B]

OFG0ISs.jpg

Homework Equations

F net = 0[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two problems with this question.
1) I fail to see why should we treat the pulley as a point and draw the free body diagram around it. I understand that the string exerts a force on the pulley as it goes around it because of it is shape but does treating it as a point apply to every situation no matter what the angle is of the rope is?2) as I treated it as a point, I defined y as the vertical distance between a and b... With that being defined I can make a system of 2 equation and 2 variables as following:

## (\sqrt{(y^2+x^2)} + \sqrt{((3.5-x)^2 +(y+0.75)^2)} = 5 ##
## \frac{x}{\sqrt{(y^2+x^2)}} = \frac{3.5-x}{\sqrt{((3.5-x)^2 +(y+0.75)^2)}} ##

I solved for x and y and got x to be 1.383 but that needed a lot of steps. Is there is any shorter answer for this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Biker said:
... but does treating it as a point apply to every situation no matter what the angle is of the rope is?
It applies to situations in which the pulley is in static equilibrium as in this case.

Biker said:
Is there is any shorter answer for this?
Your solution is pretty short, only two lines, how much shorter do you want it to be? Seriously, if you ask this kind of question, then you need to show your solution in detail.

kuruman said:
It applies to situations in which the pulley is in static equilibrium as in this case.

Is there is some kind of a proof for that?

kuruman said:
It applies to situations in which the pulley is in static equilibrium as in this case.Your solution is pretty short, only two lines, how much shorter do you want it to be? Seriously, if you ask this kind of question, then you need to show your solution in detail.
Solving for x and y took me a page. I was just asking if there was another approach. Sorry...

Biker said:
s there is some kind of a proof for that?
Just reason it out. Paint two dots on the pulley. They are at rest with respect to each other. The sum of all the forces on one dot is the same as on the other dot, zero. In fact all the points making up the pulley have zero net force acting on them. Now suppose you shrink the pulley to one dot. Does that change anything? If that still bothers you, draw a free body diagram of the knot that ties the hanging mass to the rope and proceed that way.
Biker said:
Solving for x and y took me a page. I was just asking if there was another approach.
I still need to see your approach before I can say that there is a shorter one. "One page" is not enough information. Is your handwriting small or large?

Likes scottdave
kuruman said:
Just reason it out. Paint two dots on the pulley. They are at rest with respect to each other. The sum of all the forces on one dot is the same as on the other dot, zero. In fact all the points making up the pulley have zero net force acting on them. Now suppose you shrink the pulley to one dot. Does that change anything? If that still bothers you, draw a free body diagram of the knot that ties the hanging mass to the rope and proceed that way.
I was thinking of something like this https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...etween-an-ideal-pulley-and-an-ideal-rope?rq=1
where I know that the net force the quantity and the direction of it.

Never mind about the answer, Just arithmetic.
But I will try to make sense of it. Thanks for the help!

Biker said:
But I will try to make sense of it.
Would it help if you modeled the problem as the 100 kg mass being attached to the cable with a frictionless knot instead of a pulley? It's the same thing. The knot will slide along the cable until equilibrium is reached.

Likes Biker

Related to A pulley with a mass on a string

1. What is a pulley with a mass on a string?

A pulley with a mass on a string is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel (the pulley) and a string or rope that is looped around it. The mass, or weight, is attached to one end of the string and the other end is pulled to lift the mass.

2. How does a pulley with a mass on a string work?

A pulley with a mass on a string works by changing the direction of the force needed to lift the mass. Instead of pulling the weight directly up, the force is redirected horizontally by the pulley, making it easier to lift the weight.

3. What are the different types of pulleys with a mass on a string?

There are three main types of pulleys with a mass on a string: fixed, moveable, and compound. A fixed pulley has a stationary axle and is used to change the direction of the force. A moveable pulley has a moveable axle and is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift the weight. A compound pulley is a combination of fixed and moveable pulleys, and is used to both change the direction and reduce the force needed.

4. What are some real-life applications of pulleys with a mass on a string?

Pulleys with a mass on a string are commonly used in various settings, such as construction sites, elevators, and even in everyday items like blinds and curtains. They are also used in exercise equipment, such as weight machines and resistance bands.

5. How does the mass of the weight affect the performance of a pulley with a mass on a string?

The mass of the weight affects the performance of a pulley with a mass on a string by determining the amount of force needed to lift the weight. The heavier the weight, the more force will be required to lift it. However, using a pulley can make it easier to lift heavier weights by changing the direction of the force.