A question about electromagnetic induction

In summary, the magnetic field induces an emf in a coil of wire when the magnetic flux is disturbed by the movement of air.
Ahmad Syr
Hi guys
I just want to know why changing magnetic flux in a coil induces emf?
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Might be a question better posed on the classical physics area of the forum. At any rate, I'm not entirely sure that anyone knows why it happens, just that it does. Through experimentation, and a lot of thinking, we've figured out the equations that seem to predict the behavior; but to know, precisely, why it occurs, so far as I know, eludes us. I suppose one might find some answer looking in QM, but I'm not versed enough in that to tell you yes one way or the other.

Last edited:
Hello people...imagine a magnet placed near a coil of many turns...now instead of moving the coil or magnet...will emf get induced when I force a turbulent Air in the gap between coil and magnet...becaz magnetic flux disturbed by air whose relative permeability changes when it moves turbulently...

Narayanan KR said:
Hello people...imagine a magnet placed near a coil of many turns...now instead of moving the coil or magnet...will emf get induced when I force a turbulent Air in the gap between coil and magnet...becaz magnetic flux disturbed by air whose relative permeability changes when it moves turbulently...
I think it will induce an emf. Its magnitude will depend upon the degree of turbulence.

Likes Narayanan KR
Ahmad Syr said:
Hi guys
Thanks in advance.
Faraday observed the fact, as stated in Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction. Maxwell later tried to put all the known laws of electricity and magnetism into a few equations, and suggested that a varying magnetic field produces an electric field. The electric field create an EMF between the ends of the conductor.

Ahmad Syr said:
Hi guys
Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure the guys over in the quantum physics forum will have an opinion. If you go that route, I might like to see their answer. I doubt I'll understand it, but hope seems a universal constant. :rolleyes:

I would guess it has something to do with exchanging virtual photons through quantum entanglement.

It derives from Lorenz force - a charged particle passing though a magnetic field will have a force applied to it - perpendicular to both the field and the direction of travel, from an EE understanding that should be the deepest it need to be looked at. Beyond that it becomes a discussion for relativity ( Sub atomic charged particles and E-M Fields - however not really entanglement)

Ahmad Syr said:

think it's something that was observed and made use of, not something that was figured out a priori from more basic facts.

F = QV cross B is what pushes the charge Q along the wire,
just as F= gm1m2/r2 pulls masses toward one another

Likes cabraham
1. change of magnetic field in space will create change in electric field despite the presence of conductor or not.-James Cleark Maxwell.

2. some how placing metal in that space electric field prefers to flow inside metal rather than vacuum since metal offers less resistance to electric field flow.

3. so i think electric field comes first then the current.

4. Personally speaking... Henry Lowrence worked for JP morgan and other capitalists and he Dumbed down Maxwellian and Heavyside equations to never reach overunity.

Ahmad Syr said:
Hi guys
Thanks in advance.

best explanation on magnetism and induction check it bro!

Ahmad Syr said:
Hi guys
Thanks in advance.
Other answers are good. But for the basic, underlying cause? We don't know.

The universe acts the way it acts. We observe that action and create models of how it acts based on experimentation. But there's always another "why" somewhere.

As for why Maxwell's equations work the way they do, it's because the electromagnetic force is a U(1) group. What does this mean? It means Maxwell's equations work the way they do. We know this from observation.

Science is all about observing and testing those observations. We seek unifying models, but those models are based on observation, not the other way around.

So there are many answers to your "why" depending on the answer you seek.

The fundamental question is Why does an orbiting electron have a magnetic moment. - Or how is the movement of an electron (or charge) create a magnetic field. It is the interplay of these two things that make all of this happen. I had not looked into this but this seems like a pretty good
How Special Relativity Makes Magnets Work

FAQ: A question about electromagnetic induction

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current by moving a conductor through a magnetic field or changing the magnetic field around a conductor. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by creating a changing magnetic field around a conductor, which then induces a current in the conductor. This can be achieved through various methods such as moving the conductor through a stationary magnetic field, changing the strength of the magnetic field, or moving a magnet relative to the conductor.

3. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging, induction cooktops, and metal detectors.

4. How is electromagnetic induction related to Faraday's law?

Faraday's law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit. This means that the greater the change in magnetic flux, the stronger the induced EMF will be. Electromagnetic induction is the physical process that explains how this change in magnetic flux can occur.

5. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism refers to the relationship between electricity and magnetism, while electromagnetic induction specifically refers to the generation of an electric current through the use of changing magnetic fields. Electromagnetism is a broader concept that encompasses electromagnetic induction and other related phenomena.