A question about Green's function

In summary: Actually I obtained this expression from the approach of variation of parameters. It plays the role of Green's function in this case.
karlzr
There is a second order nonhomogeneous equation of motion with nonzero initial condition given at ##t=-\infty##:
##D^2 y(x)=f(x)## with ##y(-\infty)=e^{-i x}##
where I have used the shorthand notation ##D^2## for the full differential operator. Also I have the two solutions ##y_1(x)## and ##y_2(x)## to the homogeneous equation with ##y_1(x \to -\infty) \approx e^{-ix}## and ##y_2(x \to -\infty) \approx e^{ix}##. So how do I construct the particular solution using ##y_1(x)## and ##y_2(x)##?

I know Green's function can be constructed using the two homogeneous solutions. So the naive solution I got is
##y(x)=y_1(x)+\int^x_{-\infty} dx' G(x,x')f(x')## with
##G(x,x')=\frac{y_1(x)y_2(x')-y_2(x)y_1(x')}{W(y_2(x'),y_1(x'))}##.

Is it wrong? since I get some ridiculous result (divergence) when I use this solution to do calculation, because the lower bound is ##-\infty##.

Physics news on Phys.org
karlzr said:
I know Green's function can be constructed using the two homogeneous solutions. So the naive solution I got is
##y(x)=y_1(x)+\int^x_{-\infty} dx' G(x,x')f(x')## with
##G(x,x')=\frac{y_1(x)y_2(x')-y_2(x)y_1(x')}{W(y_2(x'),y_1(x'))}##.

Is it wrong? since I get some ridiculous result (divergence) when I use this solution to do calculation, because the lower bound is ##-\infty##.
Where are you getting this out of curiosity? There are other ways to obtain the Green's function, at least.

MisterX said:
Where are you getting this out of curiosity? There are other ways to obtain the Green's function, at least.
Actually I obtained this expression from the approach of variation of parameters. It plays the role of Green's function in this case.

Related to A question about Green's function

1. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations. It represents the response of a physical system to an impulse or a point source. It is often used to solve boundary value problems in which the solution depends on both the value of the function and its derivative at two or more points.

2. How is a Green's function related to differential equations?

Green's functions are closely related to differential equations because they provide a way to solve them in an integral form. By using Green's functions, the solution of a differential equation can be expressed as a convolution between the Green's function and the forcing function.

3. What are some applications of Green's functions?

Green's functions have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. They are commonly used in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and acoustics. They can also be used to solve problems in heat transfer, elasticity, and signal processing.

4. How is a Green's function different from a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the input-output relationship of a linear system. It describes the system's response to a given input signal. In contrast, a Green's function represents the response of a system to a point source or impulse. While both are used to solve differential equations, they have different applications and interpretations.

5. Are there different types of Green's functions?

Yes, there are several types of Green's functions, each with its own specific application. Some common types include the free-space Green's function, the half-space Green's function, and the cylindrical Green's function. The choice of which Green's function to use depends on the specific problem being solved and the boundary conditions involved.