A question about masses on a pully

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pully
In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of three blocks and connecting ropes, with an external force P applied downward on block A. The system accelerates at a rate of 2.5m/s2 and the tension in the rope connecting block B and C is 60N. The problem involves finding the total force on block B and the correct answer is 190N. The conversation also mentions the masses of each block and the positive and negative accelerations of blocks B and A, respectively.
babbagee
Three block, connecting ropes, and a light frictionless pully comprise a system, as shown. An external force P is applied downward on block A. The system accelerates at the rate of 2.5m/s2. The tension in the rope connecting block B and block C equals 60 N. I don't have a picture but ill discribe it.

Ok there are two masses on one side of the pully B and C. B is on top and C is on bottom, the Force exerted on B by C is 60N. Mass of B is 18kg. Then there is a mass on the other side which has a mass of 12Kg.

Ok i tired this problem but i keep getting the wrong answer.

The total force on B is

T - (60 N + wB) = maa

and then the total force on B is

T - wA = -maa

Since A is accelerating downwards it has a negative acceleration and B has a positive accleration.

The answer should be 190N but i can't seem to get the answer. What am i doing wrong.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajvirnijjar said:
The total force on B is
T - (60 N + wB) = maa
OK, except that it should be mba.
and then the total force on B is
T - wA = -maa
I assume you mean this to be the total force on A. You forgot the applied force P (or -P, with your sign convention.)
Since A is accelerating downwards it has a negative acceleration and B has a positive accleration.
Right: the acceleration of B is +a; of A, -a.

Correct your two equations and combine them to solve for P. (Which I'm guessing is the question.)

for posing your question about masses on a pulley. It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations, but it's possible that there is a mistake in your equations. Here are a few tips to help you solve this problem:

1. Draw a free body diagram for each block, showing all the forces acting on them. This will help you visualize the problem and make sure you have all the forces accounted for.

2. Remember that the tension in a rope is the same throughout the entire length of the rope. So the tension in the rope connecting block B and C is also the same as the tension in the rope connecting A and B.

3. Use Newton's second law (F=ma) to set up equations for each block. Make sure you include the correct signs for the forces (positive for forces in the direction of acceleration, negative for forces in the opposite direction).

4. Once you have set up your equations, solve them simultaneously to find the tension in the rope and the acceleration of the blocks.

I hope this helps you solve the problem and get the correct answer of 190N. If you are still having trouble, try checking your equations and make sure all the forces are accounted for. Good luck!

Related to A question about masses on a pully

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable passing over it. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage, where the force required to lift an object is reduced by spreading it out over a larger distance. By using multiple pulleys, the force required can be further reduced.

3. What is the purpose of using masses on a pulley?

Using masses on a pulley allows for the application of different forces and weights to be measured. This can be useful in experiments and for calculating mechanical advantage.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. For example, if a system with one pulley requires an input force of 10N to lift an object weighing 100N, the mechanical advantage would be 10.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the mass on a pulley?

Yes, other factors that can affect the mass on a pulley include the friction in the pulley system, the angle at which the rope or cable is pulled, and the weight and shape of the object being lifted. These factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated mechanical advantage.