A question about movement in 4D

• Thread starter curiouschemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    4d Movement
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of time dilation in relation to motion in different dimensions, specifically with the example of a rotor spinning at close to the speed of light. The concept of "speed through spacetime" is discussed, but the speaker questions the validity of this idea and suggests that it may just be a mathematical trick.
curiouschemist
Okay, I understand that if you dedicate some motion to one dimension at a constant rate you consequently pull motion from another dimension. Like driving at an angle rather than a straight line traveling a longer distance to a said stopping line (traveling in two dimensions rather than one). I understand how this translates to time dilation at fast acceleration, the more you move through space the less you move through time. This has only been given to me in one spatial dimension and the time dimension. What happens if a rotor spins at close to the speed of light? It is, in turn (no pun intended), spinning in two spatial dimensions, would you only be able to spin the rotor at 1/2 the speed of light since you are distributing motion to two spatial dimensions from one time dimension? In this respect, what about the third spatial dimension? Like, say, a collapsing massive star. Would it only have to accelerate to 1/3 the speed of light? Anyway... I hope you see my question, I hope you (anyone) can give me some clarity. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
curiouschemist said:
Okay, I understand that if you dedicate some motion to one dimension at a constant rate you consequently pull motion from another dimension. Like driving at an angle rather than a straight line traveling a longer distance to a said stopping line (traveling in two dimensions rather than one). I understand how this translates to time dilation at fast acceleration, the more you move through space the less you move through time. This has only been given to me in one spatial dimension and the time dimension. What happens if a rotor spins at close to the speed of light? It is, in turn (no pun intended), spinning in two spatial dimensions, would you only be able to spin the rotor at 1/2 the speed of light since you are distributing motion to two spatial dimensions from one time dimension?
No--it's not as if an individual atom in a solid object "knows" whether other atoms in the same object are moving in different directions (as with a rotor) or if they are all at rest with respect to each other (as with a solid object moving in a linear way).

I don't think the idea of explaining relativity in terms of "movement in space vs. movement in time" should be taken too literally, it's really just a sort of mathematical trick. Brian Greene is the only author I have seen who describes relativity this way, and he explains the justification in an endnote in The Elegant Universe (p. 392):

For the mathematically inclined reader, we note that from the spacetime position 4-vector [tex]x = (ct, x_1, x_2, x_3) = (ct, \vec{x})[/tex] we can produce the velocity 4-vector [tex]u[/tex], [tex]dx/d\tau[/tex], where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the proper time defined by [tex]d\tau^2 = dt^2 - c^{-2}(dx_1^2 + dx_2^2 + dx_3^2)[/tex]. Then, the "speed through spacetime" is the magnitude of the 4-vector [tex]u[/tex], [tex]\sqrt{((c^2dt^2 - d\vec{x}^2)/(dt^2 - c^{-2}d\vec{x}^2))}[/tex], which is identically the speed of light, [tex]c[/tex]. Now, we can rearrange the equation [tex]c^2(dt/d\tau)^2 - (d\vec{x}/d\tau)^2 = c^2[/tex], to be [tex]c^2(d\tau/dt)^2 + (d\vec{x}/dt)^2 = c^2[/tex]. This shows that an increase in the object's speed through space, [tex]\sqrt{(d\vec{x}/dt)^2}[/tex], must be accompanied by a decrease in [tex]d\tau/dt[/tex], the latter being the object's speed through time (the rate at which time elapses on its own clock, [tex]d\tau[/tex], as compared with that on our stationary clock, [tex]dt[/tex]).
I don't really like the idea of labelling [tex]d\tau/dt[/tex] the "speed through time", since it's really just the speed that a clock is ticking as seen in a different reference frame, and labelling the magnitude of the 4-vector [tex]u[/tex] above (usually known as the '4-velocity') as the "speed through spacetime" makes even less sense to me.

Last edited:

Your question is a very interesting one and it touches on some important concepts in physics. To answer your question, we need to first understand the idea of spacetime and how we measure motion in 4D.

In 4D, we have three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) and one time dimension. These dimensions are all interconnected and cannot be separated. This means that any motion in one dimension will affect the other dimensions as well. This is why, in your example of driving at an angle, you are traveling a longer distance in two dimensions rather than just one.

Now, when we talk about motion in 4D, we use the concept of spacetime intervals. This is a way of measuring how far an object travels in 4D. The faster an object moves through space, the slower it moves through time. This is what we call time dilation. So, if an object is moving at the speed of light, it is not moving through time at all. This is because all of its motion is dedicated to the three spatial dimensions.

In the case of a rotor spinning close to the speed of light, the same principle applies. The rotor is spinning in two spatial dimensions and therefore, it can only spin at a fraction of the speed of light. This is because some of its motion is dedicated to the time dimension.

As for your question about a collapsing massive star, the same concept applies. The star would have to accelerate to a fraction of the speed of light in order to collapse in the third spatial dimension. This is because its motion is distributed among all four dimensions.

I hope this helps to clarify your question. Keep exploring and asking questions, as these concepts can be complex and fascinating to learn about.

Related to A question about movement in 4D

1. What is 4D movement?

4D movement refers to movement that occurs in four dimensions, including the traditional three dimensions of length, width, and height, as well as the additional dimension of time.

2. How is 4D movement different from 3D movement?

4D movement includes the additional dimension of time, which allows for a more complete understanding of an object's motion and position. It also allows for the depiction of movement in a three-dimensional space over a period of time.

3. How does the concept of relativity apply to 4D movement?

The concept of relativity, specifically Einstein's theory of general relativity, applies to 4D movement by taking into account the effects of gravity on the movement of objects in four dimensions. This theory helps explain the relationship between space, time, and movement in 4D.

4. Can we visualize 4D movement?

While it is difficult for us to visualize 4D movement in its entirety, we can use mathematical models and computer simulations to better understand and represent the concept. Some scientists also suggest using analogies, such as imagining a 3D object moving through a 2D plane over time, to aid in visualization.

5. How is 4D movement relevant to everyday life?

4D movement is relevant to everyday life in many ways, from understanding the movement of celestial bodies to predicting the trajectory of a moving object. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.