A Question About Parallel Universes....

In summary, the conversation revolves around the theoretical possibility of traveling through parallel universes and changing events through time travel. However, without a plausible theory for both parallel universes and time travel, this remains pure speculation and is not accepted in the field of physics. The conversation ultimately concludes that such a question is essentially unanswerable and the thread is closed.
BadgerBadger92
Keep in mind this is completely a theoretical question... In the end I know nothing about physics. I just have a question.

If parallel universes exist, and two or more of them had the ability to travel time (If that were even possible at all. Doubtful.) could someone technically travel to this parallel universe and travel back to their universe at a past time and completely change things? What about the grandfather paradox? If you did go to a parallel universe, would it be possible to travel back to your universe? I know very little about this subject but I would like any input.

Space news on Phys.org
Without a plausible theory for both parallel universes and time travel, this is pure speculation instead of actual physics, and we don't accept threads with pure speculation here.

BadgerBadger92 said:
If parallel universes exist, and two or more of them had the ability to travel time (If that were even possible at all. Doubtful.)

They don't, which kind of takes the fun out of the rest of the question:oldfrown:

This sort of question is essentially equivalent to asking "What do the laws of physics as we understand them say would happen in a situation where the laws of physics cannot be applied?" There cannot be any sensible answer, so this thread us closed.

Related to A Question About Parallel Universes....

1. What exactly is a parallel universe?

A parallel universe, also known as a parallel dimension or alternate reality, is a hypothetical universe that exists alongside our own, but with different physical laws, events, and even versions of ourselves.

2. How do parallel universes differ from alternate timelines?

Parallel universes involve the existence of multiple universes at the same time, while alternate timelines involve different versions of events occurring within the same universe.

3. Do parallel universes really exist?

While there is currently no concrete evidence for the existence of parallel universes, many theories in physics, such as the multiverse theory, suggest that they could be a possibility.

4. How would one travel to a parallel universe?

The concept of traveling to a parallel universe is purely theoretical at this point and there is no known way to physically travel to one. Some theories suggest that it may be possible through advanced technology or by manipulating black holes.

5. Could there be multiple versions of myself in parallel universes?

According to the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, every decision we make creates a new, parallel universe where the alternative decision was made. So in theory, there could be infinite versions of ourselves in parallel universes with slight differences based on our choices.