A question and no idea what to do

In summary, the conversation discussed determining the initial velocity of a horizontally launched projectile that falls 1.5m while moving 16m horizontally. The conversation also mentioned using equations for one-dimensional motion with x and y components, and provided the equations for x and y displacement. The person asking for help also requested assistance with another thread related to a test they need to pass.
ouse
determine the inital velocity of a projectile that is luncked horizantaly and falls 1.5m while moving 16m horizantaly
i tried everything all i figerd out is that they r displacmednts the accelaration is 9.8 and nothing i don't have enogh info to do anything
please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide the motion into x and y components and deal with them as if you were dealing with one-dimensional motion.

can u please elaborate

and any way that doesn't work becuse i have no angles to detrime wat the x and y components are

that would only work if these were vectors not displacment

Well...
[tex]x = v_0t[/tex]
[tex]0 = y_0 -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
Does that help at all?

yeah it helped i acctualy figerd the question thanks sooo much

now can u please look at my other thread and please ohh please help with question 1 b,c and q 2

ouse said:
yeah it helped i acctualy figerd the question thanks sooo much
Glad to hear that :).

Did you understand where the equations I gave came from?

ummm well yeah for one of them

u assumed viy is 0 and took it our of the equation right

The full equations:
[tex]x = x_0 + v_{x0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_xt^2[/tex]
[tex]y = y_0 + v_{y0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_yt^2[/tex]
Let [itex]x_0 = 0[/itex]. As the projectile's fired horizontally: [itex]v_{y0} = 0[/itex] thus [itex]v_{x0} = v_0[/itex]. No force affects the projectile in x-direction, so: [itex]a_x = 0[/itex]. In y-direction: [itex]a_y = -g[/itex] (- as it's downward). The final altitude of the projectile is [itex]y = 0[/itex].

Hence
[tex]x = v_0t[/tex]
[tex]0 = y_0 -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

i was woundring if u could help me with the other thread please help me i really need it i have a test i need to pass

thx for the explination

Related to A question and no idea what to do

1. What is the purpose of "A question and no idea what to do"?

The purpose of "A question and no idea what to do" is to stimulate critical thinking and problem-solving skills by presenting a challenging question without providing any guidance or direction.

2. How can "A question and no idea what to do" be used in a scientific setting?

"A question and no idea what to do" can be used in a scientific setting as a way to encourage scientists to think outside the box and explore unconventional solutions to complex problems. It can also be used as a tool for hypothesis generation and experimentation.

3. Is "A question and no idea what to do" effective in promoting creativity?

Yes, "A question and no idea what to do" can be a great way to promote creativity by forcing individuals to come up with their own unique solutions without any preconceived ideas or limitations.

4. Can "A question and no idea what to do" be used in a team setting?

Yes, "A question and no idea what to do" can be used in a team setting to encourage collaboration and brainstorming. It can also help teams to identify different perspectives and approaches to problem-solving.

5. What are the potential benefits of using "A question and no idea what to do" in scientific research?

The potential benefits of using "A question and no idea what to do" in scientific research include promoting innovative thinking, stimulating new ideas, and potentially leading to groundbreaking discoveries. It can also help scientists to develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.