A question of electricity regarding emf and voltage

In summary, the relay requires 16V and a current of 0.60A to operate. The resistance of each of the wires in the cable is 0.0050 ohms/ meter. The minimum emf of the power supply is 18.4V.
FaroukYasser

Homework Statement

A relay is required to operate 800m from its power supply, The power supply has negligible internal resistance.

The relay requires 16V and a current of 0.60A to operate

A cable connects the relay to the power supply and two of the wires in the cable are used to supply power to the relay.

The resistance of each of these wires is 0.0050 ohms/ meter
What is the minimum emf of the power supply

My answer: 18.4V Correct answer: 20.8V

Homework Equations

I state them below :))

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok here is how I imagined the problem, there is a CABLE that is going out of the positive terminal of the battery and going to the relay which is 800m long, then there is another CABLE going back to the negative terminal of the battery which is also 800 m. Now inside each CABLE[/B is 2 wires of length 800m each of resistance 800 x 0..5 = 4 ohms. but since these two wires are in the same CABLE, they are like two parallel 4 ohms resistor so the combined resistance is
4 x 4 / 4 + 4 = 2 ohms (The whole resistance of ONE CABLE ) and since there is two then the total resistance is 2 ohms + resistance of relay + 2 ohms = 4 ohms + resistance of relay
Now resistance of relay = V across relay / I passing through it = 16 / 0.6 = 26.7 ohms so TOTAL resistance = 30.7 ohms so to find the emf of the circuit we use V = IR where R is total resistance and I is the current (0.6A)
V = 30.7 x 0.6 = 18.4!
Where did I go wrong?? :((
Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "cable" for wiring is taken to mean multiple wires bundled into a single package.

Your interpretation of the wiring is not correct. There is only one cable. Two wires within that cable are used to supply power to the relay.

If this was the case why would he write:
The resistance of each of (((these wires))) is 0.0050 ohms/ meter
is it just there to trick me into thinking that it is a parallel connection?
I forgot to mention the question was MCQ so once I calculated 18.4 and found it in the list I chose it.

FaroukYasser said:
If this was the case why would he write:
The resistance of each of (((these wires))) is 0.0050 ohms/ meter
is it just there to trick me into thinking that it is a parallel connection?
The cable consists of multiple wires. The author is referring to the individual wires within the cable. Two wires of the cable are used to connect the relay to the voltage source.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69291&stc=1&d=1398963355.gif

I forgot to mention the question was MCQ so once I calculated 18.4 and found it in the list I chose it.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 627
Likes 1 person
gneill said:
The cable consists of multiple wires. The author is referring to the individual wires within the cable. Two wires of the cable are used to connect the relay to the voltage source.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69291&stc=1&d=1398963355.gif

Omg You were soo helpful! :))) Thanks so much for helping me and for spending your time on the drawing :))))
Thanks a ton :))))

FAQ: A question of electricity regarding emf and voltage

1. What is the difference between emf and voltage?

Electromotive force (emf) is the potential difference created by an energy source, while voltage is the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. In other words, emf is the cause of voltage, and voltage is the effect of emf.

2. How is emf and voltage measured?

Emf is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter, while voltage is also measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter or a multimeter. Both emf and voltage can be measured by placing the probes of the meter across the energy source or the two points in the circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for emf and voltage?

The unit of measurement for both emf and voltage is volts (V). This unit is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the voltaic pile, the first electric battery.

4. How are emf and voltage related to each other?

Emf and voltage are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the emf of a source increases, the voltage across the circuit also increases. However, the amount of voltage created by the emf depends on the resistance of the circuit, which can be affected by factors such as wire length, material, and temperature.

5. Can voltage exist without emf?

No, voltage cannot exist without emf. As mentioned earlier, emf is the cause of voltage. Without an energy source to create an emf, there would be no potential difference between two points in a circuit, and therefore no voltage could be measured.