A quick question about Planck's constant

hongseok
TL;DR Summary
What does it mean to say that Planck's constant is an energy oscillator composed of imaginary and real numbers?
This is an expression I saw in a book.
What does it mean to say that Planck's constant is an energy oscillator composed of imaginary and real numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
hongseok said:
@hongseok, "I saw in a book" is exactly equivalent to "I overheard some guy on a bus saying" and is not a valid reference here on PF. We would need to know EXACTLY what you read and who said it so please make specific citations for such questions.

Likes hongseok, pines-demon, hutchphd and 1 other person
hongseok said:
Either the book is wrong or you have misunderstood what it was saying.
Planck's constant is a number not an oscillator, and it is real not imaginary.

It is true that complex numbers and oscillators appear through the mathematics of quantum mechanics, but there's no way of making sense of that without actually doing the math. For that you will need a proper textbook, there are a bunch of recommendations in other threads here.

Likes hongseok
hongseok said:
What book?

Likes hongseok
Lets see what the OP says. I suspect the book is not in English, though. I searched for the quote and found nothing.

Likes hongseok
Thank you everyone. As you said, it is not a book written in English. After referring to other threads, I think I misunderstood the context of the book.
Thank you for answering my inexperienced questions with sincerity.

Likes phinds
Solution of time independent Shroedinger equation with energy eugenvalue E holds oscillating factor of
[tex]e^{iE/ \hbar \ t}[/tex] in time. That is my best guess.

Last edited: