A quick theoretical question on dark matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of dark matter being ionized matter and the idea that charged particles are needed to emit light. It also mentions the limitations of ionized matter and how it can still interact with light. The experts in the conversation explain that dark matter does not emit light or interact with matter, except through gravity. Therefore, it is unlikely that dark matter is ionized matter.
BadgerBadger92
This is a theoretical question that may not be rooted in reality. I hope this was the right section. Please clear up all misunderstandings.

Since dark matter can’t emit light, could it be possible that dark matter is ionized matter? I always thought you needed electrons to emit light. Then that doesn’t answer how they don’t catch electrons.

Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
BadgerBadger92 said:
Since dark matter can’t emit light, could it be possible that dark matter is ionized matter? I always thought you needed electrons to emit light.
No. You need charged particles to interact with light. Ions, by definition, are charged particles.

BadgerBadger92 said:
This is a theoretical question that may not be rooted in reality. I hope this was the right section. Please clear up all misunderstandings.

Since dark matter can’t emit light, could it be possible that dark matter is ionized matter? I always thought you needed electrons to emit light. Then that doesn’t answer how they don’t catch electrons.

Help would be appreciated.

But "ionized matter" means that it has CHARGE. And charged entities tend to emit EM radiation, especially when they go through varying fields. If dark matter has charge, it would have been easily detected by now.

And no, your notion that you "needed electrons to emit light" is false. I could have just protons and jiggle them up and down and I can create EM radiation. I don't need any stinking electrons there.

Zz.

Not only does DM not emit light, it doesn't even interact with other matter, except via gravity. They pass right through each other, which is why we don't find all sorts of bodies with DM as a component. DM doesn't clump with matter.

No ions are going to do that.

Ionized matter is plasma, and plasmas are certainly not dark. Fully ionized plasma will not emit atomic line radiation, but it will still emit free-free bremsstrahlung, and if there is a magnetic field, then also synchrotron radiation. Also, depending on the density of the plasma, light above the plasma frequency will be reflected. Light will also be refracted or absorbed by the plasma, so it is anything but invisible.

Related to A quick theoretical question on dark matter

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to telescopes, hence the name "dark" matter. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Regular matter, also known as baryonic matter, is made up of atoms and subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. Dark matter, on the other hand, is made up of particles that do not interact with light and have yet to be directly detected.

3. How does dark matter affect the universe?

Dark matter plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Its gravitational pull helps to hold galaxies together and is responsible for the large-scale structure of the universe. Without dark matter, galaxies would not have enough mass to stay intact and the universe would look very different.

4. Is dark matter the same as dark energy?

No, dark matter and dark energy are two separate concepts. Dark matter is a type of matter that contributes to the total mass of the universe, while dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

5. How do scientists study dark matter?

Scientists study dark matter through its gravitational effects on visible matter, such as the rotation of galaxies and the bending of light in gravitational lensing. They also use experiments, such as particle accelerators, to try to directly detect dark matter particles.