A rectangle with Charges on Each Corner - Find Missing Charge?

In summary, the problem involves finding the charge needed at the empty corner of a rectangle in order to create a net force pointing vertically at corner A. All three existing charges have the same magnitude of +8.45 μC. To solve this, the horizontal forces must cancel out, meaning that the horizontal field at corner A must be zero. This can be achieved by placing a charge q at the fourth corner, which will create a horizontal field that cancels out the horizontal field produced by the other two charges.
NerdingOut

Homework Statement

A charge is to be placed at the empty corner of a rectangle to make the net force at corner A point along the vertical direction. What charge (magnitude and algebraic sign) must be placed at the empty corner if the three charges have the same charge of +8.45 μC?

Homework Equations

F = kq1q1/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

because we know that the net force on A is going to be in the vertical direction we know this is the resultant. Therefore i know the horizontal forces must cancel out..but isn't there only one existing horizontal force coming from the charge at the bottom right corner?

F = (8.99x10^9)(8.45 x10^-6)^2/d^2 [/B]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 5.40.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 5.40.10 PM.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nerd, and welcome to PF :-)

Show us your attempt and only then we are allowed to help. Why ? See the guidelines

Okay I added my attempt..but i seriously do not know where to go from this :(

Last edited:
NerdingOut said:
Okay I added my attempt..but i seriously do not know where to go from this :(
You don't have to worry about forces as such, just think about the fields.
Suppose you put a charge q at the fourth corner. What horizontal field will this give at A?

I don't see an attempt, and it certainly doesn't look like your own work. Tell me about the forces at A due to the other two yellow bulbs. Magnitude, direction ?

Related to A rectangle with Charges on Each Corner - Find Missing Charge?

1. What is the formula for finding the missing charge in a rectangle with charges on each corner?

The formula for finding the missing charge in a rectangle with charges on each corner is:
Missing charge = (Sum of all charges) - (Sum of three known charges)

2. How do I know which charges to include in the sum?

In order to find the missing charge, you must include all three known charges in the sum. These are the charges at the corners of the rectangle that are not missing.

3. Can this formula be applied to any shape with charges on each corner?

No, this formula only applies to rectangles with charges on each corner. Other shapes may have different formulas for finding the missing charge.

4. What units should the charges be in?

The charges should all be in the same units, such as coulombs (C) or milliCoulombs (mC). Make sure to convert all charges to the same unit before using the formula.

5. Can the missing charge be a negative value?

Yes, the missing charge can be a negative value. This indicates that the charge is opposite in sign to the known charges in the equation.

Back