A relatively simple integral problem....

• MHB
  • Thread starter bmanmcfly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a difficult integration problem involving ln and e, and the use of substitution to simplify the problem. The importance of checking answers and using independent methods to verify solutions is also emphasized.
bmanmcfly
Hi again,
so, I've been blasting away at the integration problems that I've been facing and just when I thought this term was going too easy, then I got to this one that kicked me in the left tooth.

Problem: \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}4\ln(e^x)e^{-2x^2}dx\)

Attempted solution:
Ok, first off we move the 4 to the other side of the integral.

Now, I find \(\displaystyle u=e^{-2x^2}\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{-4x*\ln(e^{-2x^2})}{e^x}dx\)

\(\displaystyle =\frac{4}{-4}\int_{0}^{1}\frac{\ln(e^{-2x^2})}{e^x}\)
\(\displaystyle =-(\frac{\ln(e^{-2(1)^2})}{e^{(1)}}-\frac{\ln(e^{-2(0)^2})}{e^{(0)}})\)

Is this correct so far? It feels wrong, but I can't seem to find anywhere that specifically shows the integral of lne^x.

Thankd for any help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 4\ln\left(e^x \right)e^{-2x^2}\,dx\)

This first thing I notice is \(\displaystyle \ln\left(e^x \right)=x\) so I would rewrite:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 4xe^{-2x^2}\,dx\)

Next I would let:

\(\displaystyle u=-2x^2\,\therefore\,du=-4x\) and we have:

\(\displaystyle I=-\int_0^{-2} e^{u}\,du=\int_{-2}^{0} e^{u}\,du\)

MarkFL said:
We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 4\ln\left(e^x \right)e^{-2x^2}\,dx\)

This first thing I notice is \(\displaystyle \ln\left(e^x \right)=x\) so I would rewrite:

Really?? So the \(\displaystyle \ln\left(e^x \right)\) was basically a trick to see how much you were paying attention...
\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^1 4xe^{-2x^2}\,dx\)

Next I would let:

\(\displaystyle u=-2x^2\,\therefore\,du=-4x\) and we have:

\(\displaystyle I=-\int_0^{-2} e^{u}\,du=\int_{-2}^{0} e^{u}\,du\)
I'm curious, why is the int going from 0 to -2?

When I rewrote the integral in terms of the new variable, the limits have to be changed in accordance with the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u(x)=-2x^2\)

hence:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=0\)

\(\displaystyle u(1)=-2\)

MarkFL said:
When I rewrote the integral in terms of the new variable, the limits have to be changed in accordance with the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u(x)=-2x^2\)

hence:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=0\)

\(\displaystyle u(1)=-2\)

Ok, I think I get it... But is this a matter of simplification as it seems, or necessary?

For definite integrals, when I make a substitution, I like to leave behind the old variable completely, so I don't have to back-substitute at the end. I just find it simpler and more elegant.

That's actually a good technique I'll start doing that.

Thanks again for the help, I thought I would find a similar simple example, but no luck.

And the following questions carry on as a breeze... Which worries me, cause of its too easy I feel like in doing something wrong...

Bmanmcfly said:
And the following questions carry on as a breeze... Which worries me, cause of its too easy I feel like in doing something wrong...

Sometimes calculus problems are very easy. And sometimes they are very difficult. That's the nature of a mathematical structure as immensely powerful as calculus.

So figure out ways to check your answer. Checking your answer always involves using an independent method of solving the problem, or perhaps estimating the solution, or working backwards from the solution to the problem statement. Your philosophy should be this: the answer is not correct until it is checked. (Repeat that like a mantra to yourself.) Your checking method has to be independent from the original way of solving the problem, because you've already thought that through, and it's correct, right? Uh, right?

For example, to check an indefinite integral, differentiate your answer and see if you get the original integrand back to you. For a definite integral, treat it like the area problem that it is, and use straight lines to approximate the solution (perhaps get an upper and a lower bound on the actual area).

Related to A relatively simple integral problem....

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function within a given range.

Why is this integral considered "relatively simple"?

This integral is considered relatively simple because it only involves basic mathematical operations and does not require advanced techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

What is the purpose of solving this integral problem?

The purpose of solving this integral problem is to understand and apply the concept of integration, which is an important tool in many fields of science and engineering.

What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have numerous real-world applications, such as calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine displacement, finding the volume of irregular-shaped objects, and predicting the growth of populations over time.

How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving integrals. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to learn different techniques and strategies for solving integrals.