A (relatively) simple QM Problem, but seeking my mistake

In summary, the conversation involved finding <r> and <r2> for an electron in the ground state of hydrogen, expressed in terms of the Bohr radius. The relevant wave functions were given and an integral was used to calculate <r>. A mistake was made in the substitution, resulting in incorrect units and a factor of pi that needed to be eliminated. By also considering the outer integrals, the solution was closer to the correct answer.
Emspak

Homework Statement

Find <r> and <r2> for an electron in the ground state of hydrogen. Express in terms of Bohr radius.

Homework Equations

We know the relevant wave functions are:

[itex]R_{10} = \frac{c_0}{a}e^{r/a}Y^0_0[/itex]
and [itex]Y^0_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As I understand it the way to get <r> is to do the following integral

## \langle r \rangle = \int^{2\pi}_0 \int^{\pi}_0 \int^{\infty}_0 r |R_{10}|^2 r^2|Y^0_0|^2 dr d\theta d\phi ##

when I pug everything in, knowing that ## c_0 = \frac{2}{\sqrt{a}} ## I get

## \langle r \rangle = \int^{2\pi}_0 \int^{\pi}_0 \int^{\infty}_0 r^3 \frac{2}{a^3}e^{-2r/a} \frac{1}{4\pi} dr d\theta d\phi ##

and i can ignore (for the moment) the outer two integrals because the quantity <r> doesn't depend on either phi or theta.

So that leaves me integrating this:

## \langle r \rangle = \int^{\infty}_0 r^3 \frac{2}{a^3}e^{-2r/a} \frac{1}{4\pi} dr = \frac{1}{2 \pi a^3} \int^{\infty}_0 r^3 \frac{2}{a^3}e^{-2r/a}dr ##

Integrating by parts with ## u = r^3 ##, ## du = 3r^2 dr ##, ## dv = e^{2r/a} ## and ## v = \frac{-ae^{2r/a}}{2} ## that gets me to

## r^3 \frac{-ae^{-2r/a}}{2} - \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{-ae^{2r/a}}{2} 3r^2 dr = -r^3 \frac{ae^{-2r/a}}{2} + \frac{3}{2} \int^{\infty}_0 ae^{-2r/a} r^2 dr = r^3 \frac{ae^{-2r/a}}{2} + \frac{3a}{2} \int^{\infty}_0 e^{-2r/a} r^2 dr ##

the first term goes to zero. integrating by parts again, with ## u = r^2 ## and ## du = 2rdr ## the same thing happens:
## \frac{1}{2 \pi a^3} \frac{3}{2} \left[ -ar^2 \frac{e^{-2r/a}}{2} + \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{ae^{-2r/a}}{2} 2r dr \right] ##

that first term goes to zero again. OK so next up is another integration by parts. ## u = 2r ## and ## du = 2dr ## so
##\frac{1}{2 \pi a^3} \frac{3}{4} \left[ -2ar \frac{e^{-2r/a}}{2} + \int^{\infty}_0 \ ae^{-2r/a} dr \right] ##

and we do it all once more, to get

## \langle r \rangle = \frac{3}{8 \pi a^2} \frac{-ae^{-2r/a}}{2} |^{\infty}_0 = \frac{3}{8 \pi a^2} \left[0 + \frac{a}{2} \right] = \frac{3}{16\pi a} ##

Problem is this isn't what the various solutions I have seen to the problem gets, which is 3a/2.

So, my question is where the mistake I am making is. I posted it here because I suspect the problem is some elementary operation (rather than a deep physics problem) I am not doing right, some algebraic thing I screwed up but I went through this twice so far and can't seem to pin it down. That factor of pi has to go away somehow, for example. (In the two outer integrals maybe?)

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:
and i can ignore (for the moment) the outer two integrals because the quantity <r> doesn't depend on either phi or theta.
Instead of ignoring them, you could calculate them. They just give constant prefactors and make the solution much closer to the right answer.

At some point in your substitution, your units start to get wrong.

thanks -sorry i didn't get back to you sooner - i figured out what the problem was eventually (part of it was realizing that when you integrate in a sphere there are "extra" sine terms. Whoops.
btw there doesn't seem to be a thanks button anymore. :-(

Emspak said:
btw there doesn't seem to be a thanks button anymore. :-(
It was replaced by the "Like" button :s

Your mistake is in the first integration by parts. You have correctly identified u = r^3 and dv = e^(-2r/a) dr, but v = -a/2 * e^(-2r/a) and not -a * e^(-2r/a)/2 as you have written. This changes the sign of the last term in your calculation, which gives you the correct answer of <r> = 3a/2.

Related to A (relatively) simple QM Problem, but seeking my mistake

1. What is the problem being addressed in this QM problem?

The problem being addressed in this QM problem is a relatively simple quantum mechanics problem that involves finding the wave function for a given potential energy function.

2. What is the importance of solving this QM problem?

Solving this QM problem is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum systems, which are essential in many areas of science such as chemistry, materials science, and quantum computing.

3. What are the key steps involved in solving this QM problem?

The key steps involved in solving this QM problem include setting up the Schrodinger equation, solving for the allowed energy levels, and then using those energy levels to find the corresponding wave function.

4. What are some common mistakes that people make when solving this QM problem?

Some common mistakes that people make when solving this QM problem include not properly setting up the Schrodinger equation, not correctly applying boundary conditions, and not solving for the allowed energy levels correctly.

5. How can someone check if they have made a mistake in solving this QM problem?

One way to check for mistakes in solving this QM problem is to compare your results with known solutions or to try solving the problem using different methods to see if you get the same answer. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and making sure you have correctly applied all the steps can also help to identify any mistakes.