A Relativity-Related Thought Experiment that has Given me Trouble

In summary, the conversation discusses a paradox involving a long rope spanning the universe and two people pulling it at opposite ends. The person who pulls the rope would see it move instantly, but the person at the other end would not see it move right away due to the time it takes for light to travel. This paradox is explained by the fact that no two events can happen truly instantaneously in Einstein's theories. Additionally, the concept of a perfectly rigid body in relativity is debunked, as the speed of sound in the material will always limit the speed of any signal.
Math Buddy
Hello everyone, I'm not a physics major or anything but I have an interest in math and physics. I do know the basics of relativity and with what I know I can't make sense of this. (I came up with this on my drive home after a long calculus lecture, in case you're wondering.)

Imagine that you have an extremely long rope (held taught, without any slack). So long, in fact, that it spans from one side of the universe to the other (assume the rope has no elasticity). Imagine that at each end of this long rope are two different people. Now, one of these people suddenly pulls the rope towards himself, in a straight "tugging" motion.

What does the person at the other end of the pole feel/see at the instant that the first person pulls the rope? Keep in mind that the object is one piece and it spans the entire universe.

If the person pulls the rope, the light from this event occurring would not reach him/her instantaneously, as we all know, since light takes time to travel over long distances. But if the object was truly solid, then the man on the opposite side of the universe should feel the rope move instantly (since the rope is one object.) So he paradoxically sees the rope move but doesn't see it move at the same time.

I am aware that this kind of paradox has been pointed out before, and that Einstein's theories imply that no two events can happen truly instantaneously. However, I believe this case is different because of the solid object between them. Can someone please explain this to me?

On a side note, what does the person who pulled the rope experience after he has made the initial "tug"? If he were to look with a telescope to the other end of the universe, he would see that the rope at the other end has not yet been tugged. But this implies that the rope is longer than it really is, since it is further away from where it started before being "tugged" yet also appears not to have moved on the opposite side of the universe.

I hope I explained this paradox understandably. I brought this up with my dad a few nights ago and he was also unable to provide me with answers. I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on what occurs in this hpothetical situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please take a look at our FAQ entry: Can I send a signal faster than light by pushing a rigid rod?

Bottom line: The signal would travel at the speed of sound in the material. No matter how rigid or taut you make the rope, that speed will never exceed the speed of light. There are no perfectly 'rigid' bodies in relativity.

Fascinating, thanks for clearing that up!

Related to A Relativity-Related Thought Experiment that has Given me Trouble

1. What is the thought experiment about?

The thought experiment is about a hypothetical scenario where an observer on a moving train and an observer on the platform both measure the speed of light from a moving light source. The experiment aims to explore how the speed of light may appear to be different for each observer due to their relative motion.

2. How does this thought experiment relate to relativity?

This thought experiment is related to relativity because it explores the concept of how the laws of physics, specifically the speed of light, may appear differently to different observers based on their relative motion. This idea is a fundamental principle of Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. What difficulties have scientists encountered with this thought experiment?

One of the main difficulties with this thought experiment is that it challenges our common-sense understanding of how the world works. It goes against our everyday experience and intuition, making it hard to grasp and accept. Additionally, accurately measuring the speed of light in this scenario can be challenging and requires advanced technology.

4. What insights have been gained from this thought experiment?

This thought experiment has helped scientists understand the concept of relativity and its implications for the laws of physics. It has also shown that the speed of light is a universal constant that remains the same regardless of the observer's relative motion. It has also led to the development of important theories, such as the theory of special relativity.

5. How is this thought experiment relevant to real-world applications?

Although this thought experiment may seem abstract, it has real-world applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It has led to a better understanding of the nature of space and time, which has contributed to the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communication. It also has implications for space travel and our understanding of the universe.