A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component

In summary, a resistor is an electronic component that opposes an electric current and produces a voltage drop in proportion to the current. According to Ohm's Law, the voltage supplied by a source drives the current through the resistor, resulting in a drop in current and voltage. This relationship between voltage, current, and resistance is essential in understanding electricity.
Jin S Zhang
This is definition of resistor from Wikipedia.

1. " A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component that opposes an electric current by producing a voltage drop between its terminals in proportion to the current"

And this is another mention about Ohm's Law from a diagram of Wikipedia.

2. "A voltage source, V, drives an electric current, I , through resistor, R, the three quantities obeying Ohm's law: V = IR."

After reading these two statements, I got confused. From 1, I can assume that a resistor produces a voltage V to oppose an electric current. But, when I read 2, Voltage send current through resistor not produced by resistor. Could you please explain me about that. I just started learning Electricity. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

The statements just tells you that since R is fixed, the voltage has to drop in proportion to the current passing through it.

You're basically driving a current with a certain voltage. Once you pass that current through resistor element R, it's going to oppose the current (the IR part), but because I is directly proportional to V (Ohm's Law V = IR), if you cause a drop in current using resistor R, then the voltage has to drop. Therefore, that is why you have a voltage drop after you pass through R.

Hello! I can help clarify the confusion you have about resistors and Ohm's Law. Let's break down the statements you mentioned.

Statement 1: "A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component that opposes an electric current by producing a voltage drop between its terminals in proportion to the current."

This statement is accurately describing the function of a resistor. A resistor is designed to resist the flow of electric current, which means it reduces the amount of current passing through it. This resistance results in a voltage drop across the resistor, which is proportional to the current passing through it. In other words, the more current that passes through the resistor, the higher the voltage drop will be.

Statement 2: "A voltage source, V, drives an electric current, I , through resistor, R, the three quantities obeying Ohm's law: V = IR."

This statement is describing the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance, known as Ohm's Law. Ohm's Law states that the voltage (V) across a resistor is equal to the current (I) passing through it multiplied by the resistance (R) of the resistor. In simple terms, it means that the voltage and current in a circuit are directly proportional to each other, and the resistance of the circuit determines this relationship.

To address your confusion, it's essential to understand that a resistor does not produce voltage. It resists the flow of current, which results in a voltage drop. The voltage source, such as a battery, provides the initial voltage that drives the current through the resistor. The resistor then reduces the current and produces a voltage drop in proportion to the current. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of resistors and Ohm's Law for you. Keep learning and exploring the world of electricity!

Related to A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component

1. What is a resistor and what does it do?

A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component that is used to resist the flow of electric current. It is designed to limit or regulate the amount of current passing through a circuit. Resistors are commonly used to control the amount of voltage, current, and power in a circuit.

2. How does a resistor work?

A resistor works by converting electrical energy into heat. It does this by creating resistance, which is the opposition to the flow of electrons. This resistance reduces the amount of current that can pass through the circuit, thereby controlling the flow of electricity.

3. What are the different types of resistors?

There are several different types of resistors, including fixed resistors, variable resistors, and specialized resistors such as thermistors and photoresistors. Fixed resistors have a set resistance value and cannot be changed, while variable resistors can be adjusted to change the resistance. Thermistors and photoresistors have unique properties that make them useful for specific applications.

4. How do I choose the right resistor for my circuit?

The right resistor for your circuit will depend on several factors, including the amount of current and voltage in the circuit, as well as the desired resistance. You can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance needed for your circuit and then choose a resistor with a similar value. It is also important to consider the power rating of the resistor, as using a resistor with a lower power rating than needed can cause it to overheat and fail.

5. What are some common uses for resistors?

Resistors have a wide range of uses in electronic circuits. Some common applications include limiting current flow in LED lights, adjusting the volume in audio devices, and creating voltage dividers for sensors. They are also used in power supplies, amplifiers, and many other electronic devices to regulate the flow of electricity and prevent damage to components.