A Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution

• I
  • Thread starter Thecla
  • Start date
In summary, Julian Havil's book "The Irrationals a Story of the Numbers You Can't Count On" discusses solutions to a simple fifth degree equation on page 133, where the only real solution is the irrational number x=-1.84208596619025438271118..., which requires about 600 symbols for its exact expression in radicals. This number can be found in the article "Bring radical" on Wikipedia.
Thecla
In Julian Havil's book " The Irrationals a Story of the Numbers You Can't Count On" he discusses solutions to a simple fifth degree equation on page 133:
##x^5-5x+12=0##
"the only real solution [of this equation is] the irrational number:
##x=-1.84208596619025438271118...##

This number requires about 600 symbols for its exact expression in radicals."
I looked all over the internet to find this irrational number expressed as 600 symbols , but I was unable to find it. Any help out there?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thecla said:
In Julian Havil's book " The Irrationals a Story of the Numbers You Can't Count On" he discusses solutions to a simple fifth degree equation on page 133:
##x^5-5x+12=0##
"the only real solution [of this equation is] the irrational number:
##x=-1.84208596619025438271118...##

This number requires about 600 symbols for its exact expression in radicals."
I looked all over the internet to find this irrational number expressed as 600 symbols , but I was unable to find it. Any help out there?
Got it! Unfortunately my Japanese has suffered a little ...
(see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bring_radical)

Related to A Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution

1. What is the equation in "A Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution"?

The equation in "A Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution" is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between two or more variables.

2. Why is the solution to the simple equation complicated?

The solution to the simple equation is complicated because it involves multiple steps and calculations. It may also require the use of advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. Can you give an example of a "Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution"?

One example of a "Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution" is the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Although the equation itself is simple, the process of solving for the variable x can be complex and involve multiple steps.

4. How can understanding "A Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution" be beneficial?

Understanding "A Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution" can be beneficial because it allows us to solve complex problems and make sense of the relationships between different variables. It also helps in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Is there a specific method for solving "A Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution"?

There is no specific method for solving "A Simple Equation, but a Complicated Solution". However, it is important to follow mathematical principles and use appropriate techniques to arrive at the correct solution.