A simple inequality with ellipses

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving determining if there is a point on an ellipse where the tangent line is parallel to a given line. The problem involves the variables p, x, and y, and the equations given are used to prove the inequality \frac{x}{p}+y\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{p^2}} \leq 1. The approach discussed involves finding a point where the tangent line is parallel and using that to prove the inequality.
RoNN|3
Assume:

[tex]p>1, x>0, y>0[/tex]

[tex]a \geq 1 \geq b > 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^2}{p^2}+(1-\frac{1}{p^2})b^2 \leq 1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2} \leq 1[/tex]

Prove:

[tex]\frac{x}{p}+y\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{p^2}} \leq 1[/tex]

I've been trying for 3 days and it's driving me crazy. Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you been able to determine if there is a point on the ellipse
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]
where the tangent line is parallel to the line given by
[tex]\frac{x}{p}+y\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{p^2}} =1[/tex]

That's probably not easy to do, but it looks like the most straightforward approach.

Thank you very much. That approach works well. I am too tired/lazy to write the details here. If someone wants them, let me know.

Related to A simple inequality with ellipses

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities or expressions using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to the other quantity.

2. What are ellipses?

Ellipses are geometric shapes that resemble flattened circles. In mathematics, they are often described as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points (called foci) have a constant sum. They can also be represented algebraically as (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

3. How do you solve a simple inequality with ellipses?

To solve a simple inequality with ellipses, you first need to determine the direction of the inequality (i.e. < or >) and then rearrange the equation to isolate the variable on one side. Next, you need to plot the ellipse on a coordinate plane and shade the region that satisfies the inequality. The solution will be all the points within the shaded region.

4. Can an ellipse be used to represent a system of inequalities?

Yes, an ellipse can be used to represent a system of inequalities. This is because the region inside an ellipse can be described by multiple inequalities, such as x < 2 and y > 3. In this case, the solution would be the intersection of all the shaded regions for each individual inequality.

5. Are there any applications of simple inequalities with ellipses in real life?

Yes, there are many applications of simple inequalities with ellipses in real life. For example, ellipses can be used to model the orbits of planets around the sun, the paths of comets, and the shapes of galaxies. They are also used in engineering and architecture to design curved structures, and in economics to represent budget constraints and production possibilities.