A simple Stop Potential question I thought

• Thread starter HawkBear05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation was about determining the cut off wavelength and maximum energy of electrons in a material based on the stopping potential and wavelength of light. The formula E = hv - w was used to solve for the unknown variables, and for a wavelength of 200 nm, the maximum kinetic energy of electrons can be given by K = |eV|.
HawkBear05

Homework Statement

What is the cutt off wavelength of the material, and max nrg of electrons when we know the stop potent. of the material is 8 V and the wavelegnth is 100 nm. What is stop potent. of material when wavelegthn is 200 nm?

Homework Equations

E = hv - w
where E = hv
and h = planks constant or "h cross"

The Attempt at a Solution

hv = hv - w = E
8 = h (c/wavelegthn) - w
8 = 6.6* 10 ^-34 (3*10^8/100) - w
solved for w... but how do I find cut off nm? and max nrg of electron

at 200 nm...
E = h (c/wavelegthn) - w
E = 6.6* 10 ^-34 (3*10^8 / 200) - 0
solved for E, but I pretty sure its wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question but from this line E = hv - w, i think your problem is about photoelectronic effect, right?

If yes, then you should read about this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect .

Maximum kinetic energy of e can be give by K = |eV|.

thanks for the link

Related to A simple Stop Potential question I thought

What is a stop potential?

A stop potential is the amount of voltage required to stop a particle from moving in an electric field. It is the point at which the kinetic energy of the particle is equal to the potential energy of the electric field.

Why is a stop potential important in particle physics?

A stop potential is important in particle physics because it allows scientists to measure the kinetic energy of particles and understand their behavior in electric fields. It is also useful in determining the mass of particles.

How is a stop potential calculated?

A stop potential is calculated using the equation Vstop = K/q, where Vstop is the stop potential, K is the kinetic energy of the particle, and q is the charge of the particle.

What factors can affect the value of a stop potential?

The value of a stop potential can be affected by the mass and charge of the particle, as well as the strength of the electric field. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the value.

How is a stop potential experimentally determined?

A stop potential can be experimentally determined by measuring the voltage at which a particle stops moving in an electric field. This can be done by gradually increasing the voltage until the particle stops moving, and then using the calculated stop potential equation to determine its value.