A small problem with a complex integral

In summary, the conversation is about an integral over a contour, specifically a semicircle with a vanishing radius in the upper half plane. The integrand is \frac{(lnx)^2}{1+x^2} and the integral is supposed to be zero. One person is questioning how this is possible and the other person explains that taking the modulus and letting the radius go to zero results in the denominator going to 1 and the numerator being of the form ln(r^2)+\theta^2 with r going to zero. The first person then realizes their mistake and thanks the other for their explanation.
krishna mohan
Hi...

I have an integral over a contour. The contour is a semicircle with vanishing radius around the origin and situated in the upper half plane.

The integrand is [tex]\frac{(lnx)^2}{1+x^2}[/tex].

The integral is supposed be zero.

I don't see how. Taking the modulus and letting the radius go to zero, I find that the denominator goes to 1 and the numerator is of the form [tex]ln(r^2)+\theta^2[/tex] with r going to zero.

Can anybody tell me what I might be missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi krishna! :smile:

but the arc-length is πr, so you multiply by that :wink:

Yep..thanks a lot tiny tim!:smile:

FAQ: A small problem with a complex integral

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function over a complex domain, which includes both real and imaginary numbers.

What is a small problem with a complex integral?

A small problem with a complex integral is that it can be difficult to calculate and solve due to the inclusion of imaginary numbers and the complexity of the function being integrated.

Why is it important to understand complex integrals?

Understanding complex integrals is important because they have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are also essential in solving complex mathematical problems.

What are some common techniques for solving complex integrals?

Some common techniques for solving complex integrals include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the Cauchy integral formula.

Are there any real-world examples of complex integrals?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of complex integrals, such as calculating electric and magnetic fields in physics, analyzing fluid flow in engineering, and solving differential equations in mathematics.