A solution for the P v NP problem

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: The proof is correct as far as it goes. What this paper does is to show that for some functions there exists a function such that P=NP. But this function is not the Tardos function.In summary, this paper shows that there exists a function that makes P=NP, but the function is not the Tardos function.
gravenewworld
What can the experts decipher on this:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1708.03486.pdf

Is this going to win a million dollars?

EDIT: The punchline is P =/= NP

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert, but from what I heard, the author is a credible researcher and the paper seems to look good. We'll see if someone finds a flaw.

If it is true, then it will be a sensation and I wonder, why the usual pop-science shout-boxes haven't reacted yet. Also interesting would be, whether Blum will also refuse to grab the million, as Perelman did. What looks promising is the way itself:
Berg and Ulfberg and Amano and Maruoka .. have used ... to prove exponential lower bound ...
and
We [Blum] show that these approximators can be used to prove the same lower bound for ...
This is the way science works: A great result from one author(s), because non-trivial lower bounds are really hard to prove, and another one generalizes the result. And as with Poincaré, the result ##P \neq NP## is simply a corollary.

fresh_42 said:
If it is true, then it will be a sensation and I wonder, why the usual pop-science shout-boxes haven't reacted yet.

It's probably not as sensational as P=NP :-)

Cheers

https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.03486

Thoughts, PF? I know very little about the subject—in fact, the abstract makes my eyes bug out:

Berg and Ulfberg and Amano and Maruoka have used CNF-DNF-approximators to prove exponential lower bounds for the monotone network complexity of the clique function and of Andreev's function. We show that these approximators can be used to prove the same lower bound for their non-monotone network complexity. This implies P not equal NP.

There is now a version 2 - where it is claimed:
The proof is wrong. I shall elaborate precisely what the mistake is. For doing this, I need some time. I shall put the explanation on my homepage

Related to A solution for the P v NP problem

1. What is the P v NP problem?

The P v NP problem is a major unsolved question in computer science and mathematics. It asks whether every problem that can be quickly verified by a computer can also be solved by a computer in a reasonable amount of time.

2. Why is the P v NP problem important?

The P v NP problem has significant implications for various fields, including cryptography, optimization, and artificial intelligence. A solution to this problem could vastly improve our ability to solve complex problems efficiently, leading to advancements in many industries.

3. Is there a solution for the P v NP problem?

As of now, there is no known solution for the P v NP problem. It is considered one of the most challenging open problems in computer science, and many experts believe that it may be impossible to solve.

4. What are some proposed solutions for the P v NP problem?

Several approaches have been proposed for solving the P v NP problem, including the use of quantum computers, the development of new algorithms, and the study of complexity classes. However, none of these proposed solutions have been proven to definitively resolve the problem.

5. How does the P v NP problem impact everyday life?

The P v NP problem may seem like a purely theoretical problem, but its solution could have a significant impact on everyday life. For example, it could lead to more efficient transportation and logistics systems, better medical diagnoses, and improved cybersecurity measures.