A stone is projected vertically upwards

• Thread starter tehmatriks
  • Start date
In summary, a stone is projected vertically upwards from the ground with an initial velocity of 80 m s-1. Using the equations v = u + at, s = ut + ½at2, and v2 = u2 + 2as, with an acceleration of -9.8 m s-2, the greatest height reached and time taken can be found. The greatest height is 326.53 m, and the time taken is 8.16 s. To find the time when the stone is 96 m above the ground, the quadratic formula t = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac))/2a can be used, with values of a = 4.9, b
tehmatriks

Homework Statement

A stone is projected vertically upwards from the ground with an initial velocity of 80 m s-1. Find the greatest height reached and the time taken. When will the stone be 96 m above the ground?

Homework Equations

[v = u + at], [s = ut + ½at2], [v2 = u2 + 2as]

assume all falling objects have an acceleration of 9.8 m s-2 vertically downwards.

The Attempt at a Solution

accerleration "a" = -9.8 m s-2
initial velocity "u" = 80 m s-1
final velocity "v" = 0 m s-1
time "t" = ? s

finding time "t" using
v = u + at
0 = 80 + (-9.8)t
t = 80/9.8
t = 8.16 s

finding greatest height i.e distance "s" using
v2 = u2 + 2as
02 = 802 + 2(-9.8)s
s = 802/2(9.8)
s = 326.53

Now for the second bit, finding when the stone will be 96 m above the ground.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything you have done is correct. You now need to find the time given the height. Of course there will be two times because the stone will pass 96m on the way up and on the way down. Which formula will you use?

vertigo said:
Everything you have done is correct. You now need to find the time given the height. Of course there will be two times because the stone will pass 96m on the way up and on the way down. Which formula will you use?

that's the problem i don't know, non look right
so i must be missing something, i just can't figure out what

it's funny because a couple of days ago i was flying through all these questions, i take a couple of days off and forget simple steps and now I am stuck in what i feel is probabley going to be an answer so simple I am not going to feel right unless i slap myself for being so thick.

Let's see. When acceleration is constant, you can use the three formulas above.

1. v = u + at
2. v^2 = u^2 + 2as
3. s = ut + (1/2) a t^2

Acceleration is constant in this question, it is just -9.8. You want to find time. So you need a formula that you know everything about except time.

Formula 2 doesn't count, it doesn't have time in it. So you must choose formula 1 or 3. Formula 1 doesn't have displacement, which is a problem because you are interested in the time to reach a displacement of 96m. So you will have to use formula 3.

So you start there, plug everything into formula 3 and then try to find the time. Please do that and get as far as you can before responding again.

PS. I assume you are in college or your final year of high school, if not then let me know.

Last edited:
96 = 80t + 4.9t2

no idea what to do now

Okay, so you've found a formula that has only one unknown, but it has the form:

[tex]at^2 + bt + c = 0[/tex] for some a,b,c. Equations of this form are called quadratic equations. To solve them, we have the quadratic formula,

[tex]t = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}.[/tex]

This is a more complex formula than perhaps you've seen before, so I'll show you where it comes from. You won't need to do these steps but see if you can follow along.

[tex]4.9 t^2 + 80 t = 96[/tex]

[tex]t^2 + \frac{80}{4.9} t = \frac{96}{4.9}[/tex]

[tex]t^2 + 2 \frac{80}{9.8} t + (\frac{80}{9.8})^2 = \frac{96}{4.9} + (\frac{80}{9.8})^2[/tex]

[tex](t + \frac{80}{9.8})^2 = \frac{192}{9.8} + (\frac{80}{9.8})^2[/tex]

[tex](t + \frac{80}{9.8})^2 = \frac{192*9.8 + 80^2}{9.8^2}[/tex]

[tex]t + \frac{80}{9.8} = \frac{\pm \sqrt{80^2 + 192*9.8}}{9.8}[/tex]

[tex]t = -\frac{80}{9.8} \pm \frac{\sqrt{80^2 + (2*96)*(2*4.9)}}{9.8}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{-80 \pm \sqrt{80^2 + 4*4.9*96}}{9.8}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{-80 \pm \sqrt{80^2 - 4*4.9*(-96)}}{9.8}[/tex]

And you'll see that this is the same as the quadratic formula when we substitute the values for a,b,c. Take particular note that c = -96 then.

So okay, you won't need to do those steps. You would jump straight to the last line. Now there are two times at which the stone has a displacement of 96m, and we can see that this formula has two solutions because the square root can be negative or positive.

Ok, continue the process and write out neatly what the two solutions are.

The quadratic formula is important to know because it can save a lot of time and you will often have to solve quadratic equations. There was another way to solve this question but I wanted to be able to show you the quadratic equation because quadratic equations appear very often.

vertigo said:
Okay, so you've found a formula that has only one unknown, but it has the form:

[tex]at^2 + bt + c = 0[/tex] for some a,b,c. Equations of this form are called quadratic equations. To solve them, we have the quadratic formula,

[tex]t = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}.[/tex]

This is a more complex formula than perhaps you've seen before, so I'll show you where it comes from. You won't need to do these steps but see if you can follow along.

[tex]4.9 t^2 + 80 t = 96[/tex]

[tex]t^2 + \frac{80}{4.9} t = \frac{96}{4.9}[/tex]

[tex]t^2 + 2 \frac{80}{9.8} t + (\frac{80}{9.8})^2 = \frac{96}{4.9} + (\frac{80}{9.8})^2[/tex]

[tex](t + \frac{80}{9.8})^2 = \frac{192}{9.8} + (\frac{80}{9.8})^2[/tex]

[tex](t + \frac{80}{9.8})^2 = \frac{192*9.8 + 80^2}{9.8^2}[/tex]

[tex]t + \frac{80}{9.8} = \frac{\pm \sqrt{80^2 + 192*9.8}}{9.8}[/tex]

[tex]t = -\frac{80}{9.8} \pm \frac{\sqrt{80^2 + (2*96)*(2*4.9)}}{9.8}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{-80 \pm \sqrt{80^2 + 4*4.9*96}}{9.8}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{-80 \pm \sqrt{80^2 - 4*4.9*(-96)}}{9.8}[/tex]

And you'll see that this is the same as the quadratic formula when we substitute the values for a,b,c. Take particular note that c = -96 then.

So okay, you won't need to do those steps. You would jump straight to the last line. Now there are two times at which the stone has a displacement of 96m, and we can see that this formula has two solutions because the square root can be negative or positive.

Ok, continue the process and write out neatly what the two solutions are.

The quadratic formula is important to know because it can save a lot of time and you will often have to solve quadratic equations. There was another way to solve this question but I wanted to be able to show you the quadratic equation because quadratic equations appear very often.
wow man, thanks alot, i never thought i'd be using the b formula(that's what the teacher calls it) in physics
yes I am in high school.
and should'nt it be a "+" for the time being in the last equation?

i tried using the latex image thing but i keep getting generation failed because I am obviously doing something wrong, so i decided to go straight to the last bit or else it'd just be too messy and complicating. *i copied and pasted this bit from your post and put a + instead of minus*

[tex]t = \frac{-80 \pm \sqrt{80^2 + 4*4.9*(-96)}}{9.8}[/tex]

-80 +- 67.2/9.8

-80 + 67.2/9.8 = 1.306 s on the way up

-80 - 67.2/9.8 = 15.02 s I am guessing on way down

so what was the other way of doing it?
btw, thnks for taking a bit of your time to help me out, just know that this is much appreciated. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Oh, there was a slight mistake with the signs. Anyway, forget I said anything about any other method. There is no other method. This is the method that must be used to solve this problem. It took a bit of explaining because it is a difficult problem, one that needs the quadratic formula.

Thank you, I'm just glad it made sense. Just remember to use enough precision so you don't get rounding errors.

Related to A stone is projected vertically upwards

1. What is the initial velocity of the stone when it is projected vertically upwards?

The initial velocity of the stone is the speed at which it is launched into the air. This can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is what we are trying to find), a is the acceleration due to gravity (usually taken as -9.8 m/s^2 for objects near the Earth's surface), and t is the time the stone is in the air.

2. How high does the stone go when it is projected vertically upwards?

The maximum height reached by a vertically projected stone can be calculated using the formula h = u^2/2g, where h is the maximum height, u is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This assumes that there is no air resistance acting on the stone.

3. What is the acceleration of the stone when it is projected vertically upwards?

The acceleration of the stone is constant and equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is -9.8 m/s^2. This means that the stone will be slowing down as it moves upwards, until it reaches the highest point and starts to fall back down.

4. How long does it take for the stone to reach the highest point?

The time taken for the stone to reach the highest point can be calculated using the formula t = u/g, where t is the time, u is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This is assuming that there is no air resistance acting on the stone.

5. What factors can affect the motion of a stone when it is projected vertically upwards?

The motion of a stone when it is projected vertically upwards can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the stone. The weight and shape of the stone can also play a role in its motion.