A straight line thermodynamic transformation

In summary: Sure. Thanks for confirming that. Regarding the heat, I presume using Cp or Cv is not sensible here, and I should just use an expression for the internal energy (U=5/2NkT, I think) and the 1st law to get it indirectly (U = dQ - dW, and we have just got dW, so we can state dQ). But perhaps this isn't the only way to do it?
T-7
Hi,

Homework Statement

One mole of a diatomic ideal gas performs a transformation from an initial state for which the temp. and vol. are respectively 291K and 21000 cc, to a final state in which temp. and vol. are 305K and 12700cc - a straight line in the P,V diagram. Find work performed, and heat absorbed by sys.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering which is the best approach. I could calc. the pressures and use them to express the pressure as a linear function of the volume, and integrate that between the two volumes (int(P dV)) to get the work.

But perhaps I'm just not thinking, and there is a more obvious, elegant approach to this whole question (?)

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
T-7 said:
Hi,

Homework Statement

One mole of a diatomic ideal gas performs a transformation from an initial state for which the temp. and vol. are respectively 291K and 21000 cc, to a final state in which temp. and vol. are 305K and 12700cc - a straight line in the P,V diagram. Find work performed, and heat absorbed by sys.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering which is the best approach. I could calc. the pressures and use them to express the pressure as a linear function of the volume, and integrate that between the two volumes (int(P dV)) to get the work.

But perhaps I'm just not thinking, and there is a more obvious, elegant approach to this whole question (?)

Cheers.

If you know the process is done in straight line in P-V diagram, to get the work done, just calculate the area under that straight line path. Can't get any easier. But anyway, that's exactly the same thing as you integrate over the P(v) function over v.

HungryChemist said:
If you know the process is done in straight line in P-V diagram, to get the work done, just calculate the area under that straight line path. Can't get any easier. But anyway, that's exactly the same thing as you integrate over the P(v) function over v.

Sure. Thanks for confirming that. Regarding the heat, I presume using Cp or Cv is not sensible here, and I should just use an expression for the internal energy (U=5/2NkT, I think) and the 1st law to get it indirectly (U = dQ - dW, and we have just got dW, so we can state dQ). But perhaps this isn't the only way to do it?

Last edited:

FAQ: A straight line thermodynamic transformation

What is a straight line thermodynamic transformation?

A straight line thermodynamic transformation is a process in which a system undergoes a change in its thermodynamic state while following a linear path on a thermodynamic diagram.

What are the characteristics of a straight line thermodynamic transformation?

The characteristics of a straight line thermodynamic transformation include constant temperature and pressure, as well as a linear relationship between the two variables on a thermodynamic diagram. Additionally, the enthalpy and entropy of the system remain constant during the transformation.

What is the significance of a straight line thermodynamic transformation?

A straight line thermodynamic transformation allows for the easy calculation of work done and heat exchanged during the process. It also helps to simplify the analysis of complex thermodynamic systems by breaking them down into smaller, easier to understand transformations.

What are some examples of a straight line thermodynamic transformation?

One example of a straight line thermodynamic transformation is the compression or expansion of a gas in a piston-cylinder system at constant temperature and pressure. Another example is the heating or cooling of a liquid in a constant volume container.

What factors can cause a deviation from a straight line thermodynamic transformation?

Deviation from a straight line thermodynamic transformation can be caused by non-ideal behavior of the system, such as changes in temperature or pressure gradients during the process. Additionally, external factors such as heat loss or gain can also cause a deviation from a straight line transformation.

Back