A String is Connected to a Vibrating Arm and Passes Over a Light Pulley

In summary, the problem involves finding the frequency of a vibrating arm connected to a string with linear mass density μ=0.00200kg/m and length L=2.10m. The frequencies for two different masses, 25.0kg and 36.0kg, were calculated to be 500.3Hz and 600.3Hz, respectively. The largest object mass for which standing waves can be observed is unknown, but can be calculated using the given equations. The picture provided is not relevant to the problem, as it only serves as an illustration.
Kristenx2
Here is a tricky one (for me) that uses linear mass density and two masses. I don't really know which to do so I did both!

Homework Statement

An object can be hung from a string (with linear mass density μ=0.00200kg/m) that passes over a light pulley. The string is connected to a vibrating arm (of constant frequency f), and the length of the string between the vibrating arm and the pulley is L=2.10m. When the mass m of the object is either 25.0kg or 36.0kg, standing waves are observed; no standing waves are observed with any mass between these values, however.
What is the frequency of the vibrating arm?
What is the largest object mass for which standing waves could be observed?

In the picture, there is a vibrating sinusoidal transverse wave with 3 periods.

Homework Equations

I used μ=T/v2, v=fλ, and T=m*9.81m/s2.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the wavelength, λ=2.1m/3=0.7m.

Next, I found the tensionS... Using 25kg and 36kg.
T=25*9.81=245.25N OR T=36*9.81=353.16N.

With these tensions, I found the velocitieS
μ=245.25/v2=350.2m/s OR μ=353.16/v2=420.2.

Always fun getting two different solutions, right?

Finally, found the frequencies using these velocities and my wavelength.
f=350.2/.7=500.3Hz OR f=420.2/0.7=600.3Hz.

I don't know which one to pick :(

Also, I had no idea where to begin for the second part of the question, so if you could give me a hint for that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kristenx2 said:
In the picture, there is a vibrating sinusoidal transverse wave with 3 periods.
I suspect that's only for illustration. The harmonics involved should be inferred from the information regarding the two weights (and lack of a standing wave for anything in between).

Edit: Deleted my comment.

(I think I figured out my misinterpretation of the problem now: The vibrating arm oscillates in a sinusoidal fashion, such that it doesn't produce any harmonics itself [i.e. there are no significant Fourier series harmonic components]. So the fundamental resonant frequency of the string is always less than or equal to the frequency of the vibrating arm. -- Previously, I mistook the contraption to operate the other way around such that the string was picking up on the Fourier decomposition harmonics of the arm.)

Last edited:

FAQ: A String is Connected to a Vibrating Arm and Passes Over a Light Pulley

1. What is the purpose of the string in this experiment?

The string serves as a medium for transferring vibrations from the vibrating arm to the light pulley. It allows the vibrations to be transmitted and observed in a controlled manner.

2. How does the vibrating arm create vibrations in the string?

The vibrating arm is connected to a power source, which causes it to oscillate at a specific frequency. This motion is then transmitted through the string, creating vibrations that can be seen and measured.

3. What is the role of the light pulley in this experiment?

The light pulley serves as a point of observation for the vibrations created by the vibrating arm. As the string passes over the pulley, the vibrations cause it to move, which can be seen as a visual representation of the sound waves.

4. How does the tension of the string affect the vibrations?

The tension of the string plays a crucial role in the experiment as it determines the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations. Higher tension results in a higher frequency and amplitude, while lower tension results in a lower frequency and amplitude.

5. What can be learned from studying the vibrations of a string connected to a vibrating arm?

Studying the vibrations of a string connected to a vibrating arm can help in understanding the properties of sound waves and the relationship between frequency, amplitude, and tension. It can also be used to investigate the effects of different frequencies on the behavior of the string, which can have practical applications in fields such as acoustics and engineering.

Back