A suitable GRE verbal score for a PhD application

In summary: You may be able to score higher on a second attempt, but you are essentially doubling the chance of failing.In summary, the 147 verbal score will not affect your prospects of getting admitted into a physics graduate school.
sornsopheak
Dear all,

I just finished my GRE general test yesterday, and my score in verbal reasoning is low (147). I am worried about the effects of this score on my graduate school application, but I have heard from some of my friends that the verbal section does not matter much for a Physics applicant. Still, I wish to know to what extent the 147 verbal score would affect my prospect of getting admitted into a graduate school in Physics. (My analytical writing's score is not available yet, and my quantitative score is 170.)

Sopheak

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a 146 on my verbal and I honestly don't care.

I am not an english person. That's why I did math.

I'm just going to submit mine and be done with it.

I took the GRE when they were still in the 200-800 scoring range...so I don't know what 147 is like. But I was also told that the verbal does not really affect your chances. As long as you pass the minimum. The professors would like to be able to clearly converse with you, that's all, they don't need you to be a great writer for physics.

Matterwave said:
The professors would like to be able to clearly converse with you, that's all, they don't need you to be a great writer for physics.

Scientific writing is about being clear, concise, and unambiguous. With that being said, your ability to write has exactly nothing to do with the verbal section of the GRE.

The 147 corresponds to a percentile rank of 33%. I know I have to exceed the cutoff scores, but I am wondering if people in charge of the admission will throw away my application right away after seeing my verbal score without looking at my other documents.

Do you think the 147 doesn't fairly represent your ability? Then you might want to retake it. If you think it does, why worry about what you can't change?

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you think the 147 doesn't fairly represent your ability? Then you might want to retake it. If you think it does, why worry about what you can't change?

During the test, I tended to read the passages back and forth, thereby wasting a lot of time. I am just not good at doing stuff with that little amount of time, and my experience in my UG program is that I always finish my assignments and homeworks right after they were assigned. This reduces my stress and in fact makes me more efficient than having limited time constraint.

Besides, the test fee is a big amount to my family as we do not live in a rich country. Anyways, thanks :)

That sounds like it is not likely repeating the test will produce a vastly different outcome. Given that, and your financial situation, I don't think I would bother.

Actually I want to give some better advice.

find out what schools you want to get into and look at the minimum requirement for the gre. if you made the min requirement then your good if you didnt then consider trying again.

I don't think that advice is better.

Very few physics departments have a minimum Verbal GRE score. I am sure this is in at least part because ETS says "A cut-off score (i.e., a minimum score) should never be used as the only criterion for denial of admission or awarding of a fellowship." Of course, there are plenty of places on the internet that will tell you that school X has cutoff Y. Many of these are selling testing preparation services.

Additionally, retaking the test doesn't guarantee an increase in score, much less a substantial increase.

Related to A suitable GRE verbal score for a PhD application

1. What is considered a good GRE verbal score for a PhD application?

A good GRE verbal score for a PhD application varies depending on the program and institution. In general, a score above 160 is considered competitive, but some programs may have higher or lower expectations. It is important to research the average GRE scores of accepted students at the specific programs you are applying to.

2. Does a high GRE verbal score guarantee acceptance into a PhD program?

No, a high GRE verbal score does not guarantee acceptance into a PhD program. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, including academic background, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. However, a strong GRE verbal score can greatly improve your chances of being accepted.

3. Can a low GRE verbal score be offset by other parts of the PhD application?

Yes, a low GRE verbal score can be offset by other strong components of the PhD application. Admissions committees take a holistic approach when evaluating applicants, so a low GRE score may be balanced out by excellent letters of recommendation, relevant research experience, and a compelling personal statement.

4. Is it possible to retake the GRE if my verbal score is not satisfactory?

Yes, it is possible to retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your verbal score. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your application timeline and the potential for improvement. It is also important to check with the specific programs you are applying to, as some may have restrictions on how many times you can retake the exam.

5. Are there any other standardized tests that can be used in place of the GRE for a PhD application?

Yes, some PhD programs may accept other standardized tests, such as the GMAT or LSAT, in place of the GRE. It is important to check with the specific programs you are applying to and see if they have any specific requirements or preferences for standardized tests. Keep in mind that the GRE is the most commonly accepted test for graduate school admissions.