A system has non-degenerate energy levels with energy

In summary, the system has non-degenerate energy levels and the probability of it being in the n=1 state can be calculated using the formula p_r=\frac{\exp^\frac{-E_i}{k_b T}}{\sum^N_j \exp^\frac{-E_j}{k_b T}} where N is the total number of states and E_i is the energy of the state. The total number of states can be summed using a geometric series and evaluated to get the final result.
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

A system has non-degenerate energy levels with energy[tex] \epsilon=(n+1/2)\hbar\omega [/tex] where h-bar*omega=1.4*10^-23J and n positive integer zero what is the probability that it is in n=1 state with a heat bath of temperature 1K

Homework Equations

[tex]
Z=\exp^\frac{-E_i}{k_b T} \\
p_r=\frac{\exp^\frac{-E_i}{k_b T}}{\sum^N_j \exp^\frac{-E_j}{k_b T}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what to do now, I don't know how to sum the total number of states to get the fraction of states in the n=1 state

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The sum is a sum over q^i for some q<1, this has an analytic result. You can just plug in all values and calculate the result.

Ok I think I might have gotten it, to deal with the infinite sum use a geometric series,

[tex]

\sum_0^\inf e^\frac{-(n+\frac{1}{2})}{k_b T} \\

=e^\frac{-\hbar\omega}{2k_b T}\sum_0^\inf e^\frac{-n}{k_b T}\\

=\frac{e^\frac{-\hbar\omega}{2k_b T}}{1-e^\frac{-\hbar\omega}{k_b T}

[/tex]

then evaluate using the pr as stated before.

Also I don't know why my LaTeX is not displaying correctly.

Some error, probably with brackets.
Yes the approach is good.

I would first clarify the question and make sure I understand the context and variables involved. It appears that the system in question has energy levels given by \epsilon=(n+1/2)\hbar\omega, where n is a positive integer and h-bar*omega is a constant. The question also mentions a heat bath with a temperature of 1K.

To find the probability that the system is in the n=1 state, we can use the Boltzmann distribution, which states that the probability of a system being in a particular state with energy E_i is proportional to the Boltzmann factor, \exp^\frac{-E_i}{k_b T}, where k_b is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature.

In this case, the probability of the system being in the n=1 state is given by p_1=\frac{\exp^\frac{-\epsilon_1}{k_b T}}{\sum^N_j \exp^\frac{-\epsilon_j}{k_b T}}, where \epsilon_1 is the energy of the n=1 state and the sum in the denominator is taken over all possible states of the system.

To find the total number of states, we can use the formula for the partition function, Z=\sum^N_j \exp^\frac{-\epsilon_j}{k_b T}, which sums over all states of the system. We can simplify this by noting that the energy levels are evenly spaced, with \Delta\epsilon=\hbar\omega. Therefore, the partition function can be written as Z=\sum^N_j \exp^\frac{-(j+1/2)\hbar\omega}{k_b T}, where j ranges from 0 to N-1.

To find the value of N, we can use the fact that the highest energy state of the system is given by \epsilon_N=(N+1/2)\hbar\omega. We can set this equal to the energy of the system, \epsilon=(n+1/2)\hbar\omega, and solve for N. This gives N=n.

Substituting this value of N into the partition function, we get Z=\sum^N_j \exp^\frac{-(j+1/2)\hbar\omega}{k_b T}=\sum^N_j \exp^\frac{-j\hbar\omega}{k_b T}\exp^\frac{-\

Related to A system has non-degenerate energy levels with energy

What does it mean for a system to have non-degenerate energy levels?

Non-degenerate energy levels refer to a system in which each energy level has a unique and distinct value. This means that there is no overlap or degeneracy among the energy levels, and each level represents a different state of the system.

How is the energy of a system with non-degenerate energy levels measured?

The energy of a system with non-degenerate energy levels is typically measured in units of Joules (J) or electron volts (eV). This energy can be calculated using the formula E = hf, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the energy level.

What are some examples of systems with non-degenerate energy levels?

One example is the hydrogen atom, which has a single electron and therefore non-degenerate energy levels. Another example is a diatomic molecule, where the energy levels are determined by the bonding and antibonding orbitals of the two atoms.

How do non-degenerate energy levels affect the behavior of a system?

Non-degenerate energy levels play a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of a system. The energy levels dictate the allowed transitions and interactions between different states of the system, and can also influence the system's stability and reactivity.

Can a system have both degenerate and non-degenerate energy levels?

Yes, a system can have a combination of degenerate and non-degenerate energy levels. This is often observed in larger and more complex systems, where certain energy levels may show degeneracy due to symmetry, while other levels remain non-degenerate.