A system of 3 masses attached by springs is oscillating

In summary: I will look at it tomorrow.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the transverse oscillations of a string of blocks connected by springs. The equations of motion for each mass are given, with the displacements of each mass denoted as ψa, ψb, and ψc. The scenario where ψb=0 and ψa=-ψc is considered, and the angular frequency of the system is found using the small angle formula. A figure is requested to better understand the problem. The discussion also includes a revised version of the equations and a request for confirmation on the general gist.
Freya

Homework Statement

A system has 3 identical masses each connected by springs with stiffness k, and also with the end masses attached to a wall by a spring. The system is oscillating vertically. Write down the equations of motion for each of the masses, with the displacements of each mass denoted ψa, ψb and ψc.
Consider the scenario where ψb=0 and also ψa=-ψc and find the angular frequency of the system.

Homework Equations

F=ma, F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the equations of motion I got;
for the first mass: m(d2ψa/dt2)=(-Fψa/a)+(f/a)(ψb-ψa)
2nd: m(d2ψb/dt2)=(-Fψb/a)+(f/a)(ψc-ψb)
3rd: m(d2ψc/dt2)=(-Fψc/a)+(f/a)(ψc-ψb)

I have denoted a, myself, as the distance between the masses. I have also denoted F as the force exerted along the spring when the masses are displaced from equilibrium. Then by using small angle formulae (assuming the vertical displacement causes an angle between the spring and the horizontal to be <<1)

For the second part of this, I literally just plugged in the fact that ψb=0 and ended up with
ω=√(2F/ma)

Thank you for any assistance.

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a problem regarding the transverse oscillations of a string of block? A figure would really help.

What is your function (I guess it is a function) cap psi?

Something like this, but then vertically ? (stolen from Russell, PennState -- my apologies)

Here is the picture (explicit (c) makes me refer to it instead of steal it...)

BvU said:
Something like this, but then vertically ? (stolen from Russell, PennState -- my apologies)

Here is the picture (explicit (c) makes me refer to it instead of steal it...)
Yes that's right. I've spoken to course mates who have similar to me, I've changed it slightly now, but if you could let me know if the general gist is right, would be greatly appreciated.

I re-read your post #1 and expect a "No that's not right" ! The masses move up and down, not left-right !

And now I have to re-read some more to find out what a, F and f are. And why the four lengths of the four springs disappear from the equations :smile:

[edit] you need to express x in ##\Psi_a##, a , etc.

Last edited:

FAQ: A system of 3 masses attached by springs is oscillating

1. What is a system of 3 masses attached by springs?

A system of 3 masses attached by springs is a physical system in which three masses are connected to each other by springs, allowing them to move in a coordinated manner. The masses and springs are typically arranged in a triangular shape, with each mass connected to the other two by springs.

2. How does the system of 3 masses attached by springs oscillate?

The system of 3 masses attached by springs oscillates due to the forces of the springs. When the masses are displaced from their equilibrium positions, the springs exert a restoring force that pulls them back towards equilibrium. This back-and-forth motion continues and results in oscillation.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation in this system?

The frequency of oscillation in a system of 3 masses attached by springs is affected by the stiffness of the springs, the masses of the objects, and the initial displacement of the masses from equilibrium. The greater the stiffness of the springs and the smaller the masses, the higher the frequency of oscillation. A larger initial displacement will also result in a higher frequency.

4. How does energy transfer occur in this system?

In this system, energy is transferred between the masses and the springs. When the masses are displaced, they gain potential energy due to the tension in the springs. As they move back towards equilibrium, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. This process repeats as the system oscillates.

5. Can the system of 3 masses attached by springs exhibit resonance?

Yes, the system can exhibit resonance if the frequency of the external force applied to the system matches the natural frequency of the system. This results in a large increase in the amplitude of the oscillations. Resonance can be beneficial in some applications, but it can also cause damage if the amplitude becomes too large.

Back