A theorem on Quadratic Forms in Reid's Book not at all clear.

In summary, Reid's book on Algebraic Geometry discusses a theorem on Quadratic Forms. This theorem can be found in a book on Linear Algebra which discusses the quadratic form determined by an inner product. The theorem states that every quadratic form can be expressed as a function of the coordinates of a vector with respect to a given basis.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB,
I have been reading a book on Algebraic Geometry by Reid.

On page 15, there's a theorem on Quadratic forms. The book doesn't explicitly define what a Quadratic Form is. From Hoffman & Kunze's book on Linear Algebra I found that given an inner product space $V$ over a field $F$, the Quadratic Form determined by the inner product is a function from $V$ to $F$ which maps every vector $v\in V$ to the scalar $||v||^2$.

In the above context I can make sense of Theorem (B) in this:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B77QF0wgZJZ7VmhBcy1BaExTN28/edit

Does anybody see what Reid means by his Theorem B?

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
From Hoffman & Kunze's book on Linear Algebra I found that given an inner product space $V$ over a field $F$, the Quadratic Form determined by the inner product is a function from $V$ to $F$ which maps every vector $v\in V$ to the scalar $||v||^2$.

That is a particular case of quadratic form. More general, $Q:V\to F$ is a quadratic form iff there exists a bilinear form $f:V\times V\to F$ such that $Q(x)=f(x,x)$ for all $x\in V.$ Note that a real inner product is a bilinear form.

Does anybody see what Reid means by his Theorem B?

Every cuadratic form on a finite dimensional vector space is diagonalizable. This, as a consequence that every quadratic form can be expressed as $Q(x)=f_s(x,x)$ with $f_s$ symmetric bilinear form (if $\operatorname{carac}F\neq 2$).

Thank you Fernando Revilla for your help. I have a few follow up questions.

Fernando Revilla said:
That is a particular case of quadratic form. More general, $Q:V\to F$ is a quadratic form iff there exists a bilinear form $f:V\times V\to F$ such that $Q(x)=f(x,x)$ for all $x\in V.$ Note that a real inner product is a bilinear form.
Is this the most general definition of a Quadratic Form?

Fernando Revilla said:
Every cuadratic form on a finite dimensional vector space is diagonalizable. This, as a consequence that every quadratic form can be expressed as $Q(x)=f_s(x,x)$ with $f_s$ symmetric bilinear form (if $\operatorname{carac}F\neq 2$).
To understand this better, can you please tell me what does Reid mean by $x_i$'s in his statement. I think his statement is incomplete. He says that there exists a basis such that $Q=\sum_{i=1}^n\varepsilon_ix_i^2$. He doesn't specify what are $x_i$'s.

Can you please write Reid's statement in a more intelligible form?

Thanks.

caffeinemachine said:
Is this the most general definition of a Quadratic Form?

Yes, that is the general definition.

To understand this better, can you please tell me what does Reid mean by $x_i$'s in his statement. I think his statement is incomplete. He says that there exists a basis such that $Q=\sum_{i=1}^n\varepsilon_ix_i^2$. He doesn't specify what are $x_i$'s.

Those $x_i$ are the coordinates of a generic vector $x\in V$ with respect to the mentioned basis, and $\epsilon_i$ are elementes of $F.$

caffeinemachine,

Having sat an examined reading course set by Professor Reid (Dr then) 20 years ago, based on this book, I can only wish you the best of luck in your quest. Thinking back to my revision from this book I am reminded of the following words from Dante's Inferno:

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here...(Sweating)

Semillon said:
caffeinemachine,

Having sat an examined reading course set by Professor Reid (Dr then) 20 years ago, based on this book, I can only wish you the best of luck in your quest. Thinking back to my revision from this book I am reminded of the following words from Dante's Inferno:

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here...(Sweating)
Haha! I know that feel bro!

Hi caffeinemachine,

It seems we have a common interest in learning differential geometry rigorously. I'm not sure if you were aware of this, but the following seems like a great resource for complementary free material that could provide alternative avenues when you get stuck. I'm currently using it to get my head around the various equivalent definitions of a manifold (e.g. Munkres vs Spivak).

Free Differential Geometry Books Download | Ebooks Online

Semillon.

FAQ: A theorem on Quadratic Forms in Reid's Book not at all clear.

1. What is the theorem on Quadratic Forms in Reid's Book?

The theorem on Quadratic Forms in Reid's Book is a mathematical theorem that deals with the properties and characteristics of quadratic forms. It is presented in the book "Undergraduate Algebraic Geometry" by Miles Reid.

2. Why is the theorem not clear?

The theorem may not be clear to some readers because it involves complex mathematical concepts and notation that may be difficult to understand without prior knowledge and background in the subject.

3. What are the main applications of this theorem?

The theorem on Quadratic Forms in Reid's Book has many applications in algebraic geometry, number theory, and algebraic topology. It is also used in the study of quadratic forms and their invariants.

4. Can you provide an example of how this theorem is used?

One example of how this theorem is used is in the study of quadratic forms over fields, where it is used to prove the existence of non-trivial solutions to certain equations.

5. Are there any prerequisites for understanding this theorem?

To fully understand and appreciate the theorem on Quadratic Forms in Reid's Book, one should have a solid understanding of linear algebra, abstract algebra, and basic concepts in algebraic geometry.

Back