A theory and questions about physics/astro and quantum.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's personal theory on gravity and matter in the universe. They are seeking help and guidance on their idea, but are informed that personal theories are not allowed on the forum. The conversation then shifts to discussing the current theories and explanations for gravity and the individual expresses their curiosity and passion for science and astronomy. The conversation ends with the individual being encouraged to ask questions and seek further knowledge.
wolfwing
Heh I don't ask for much do I? :>

I've had this theory going around in my head for a month now on a way of looking at gravity and matter, and the universe, some of what I've read/watched and such seems to make my idea possible, and some almost seem to come close to saying it, so either this is so out there not possible, or someone already thought of this and it's either been proven true or false.

I'm just wondering if I can get some help with the idea, though if there is something to it, how would I make sure that I at least get small credit for thinking? :>

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, PF has a strict policy about personal theories; they are not allowed. Your only chance is hoping that someone is willing to PM with you. But there are other fora on the web that are open to personal theories.

heh dang, any reason for that?

And any sites, or phycscists that I might be able to get in contact with? I have a idea on how to test it to some extent but don't know the math or values, such as universal weight and such.

If I were you, I'd simply start asking questions to further your knowledge. Threads that start off this way usually end up with the thread starter either plugging their ears going "lalalala" and dismissing the fact that they don't know what they're talking about OR they ask questions about what we already know to further their knowledge that makes them realize they need to further their education.

Man now that's a run on sentence. Anyhow, getting to the basics, we already have vastly complex and far reaching theories about the universe, what question do you think your theory answers for one? Or well, to answer that question appropriately, what question do you have in mind? Maybe it's already been answered and you just need to know.

Well it would, change the nature of matter somewhat, it's internally consistent I believe, but I don't know enough about the science to tell how consistent it is with the various theories and stuff we have.

It's basicly about the nature of gravity, what causes it, why it's there, what is energy/mass in relation to gravity. Among probably other things if there is any posability of it being true.

Though I guess for a question to ask, what is the current theory and explanation for gravity and why matter has it, I know something about higgs bosson, but that's about it.

Anyone willing to talk over PM/Email, or know someone I be better off contacting about it?

wolfwing said:
Anyone willing to talk over PM/Email, or know someone I be better off contacting about it?
Here is a forum that has more lax rules about personal theories:
http://www.bautforum.com

Thanks, sorry if being a pain...:> I really love science, and astronomy and the oddities of physics :> So even if this doesn't work be curious as to why :> Thanks for the help and putting up with me.

wolfwing said:
Thanks, sorry if being a pain...:> I really love science, and astronomy and the oddities of physics :> So even if this doesn't work be curious as to why :> Thanks for the help and putting up with me.

You are not being a pain. We love helping people learn about science.

But we have learned, through many years of trial and error, the validity of the philosophy "one cannot think outside the box until one knows where the box is".

As The Flightless One suggests, feel free to ask all the questions you wish. Pose your assumptions that lead you to your hypothesis. We'll steer you down the right path.

Related to A theory and questions about physics/astro and quantum.

1. What is the difference between theory and law in physics?

A scientific theory is a well-tested and well-supported explanation for a natural phenomenon, while a scientific law is a description of an observed phenomenon that holds true under specific conditions without any exceptions. Theories are more complex and dynamic, while laws are simpler and more static.

2. How does Einstein's theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity. It explains the relationship between matter and energy, and how they affect the fabric of space and time. This theory has been confirmed through numerous experiments and has led to new discoveries in astrophysics, such as black holes and gravitational waves.

3. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the motion of macroscopic objects, such as planets and balls, using Newton's laws of motion. On the other hand, quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons, using principles of probability and wave-particle duality.

4. How does the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics affect our ability to measure particles?

The uncertainty principle, proposed by Werner Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This means that the more accurately we measure one property, the less accurately we can measure the other property. It also implies that there is a fundamental limit to our knowledge about the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Can quantum entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. While two particles can become entangled and share a connection regardless of distance, any information transmitted through this connection would still be subject to the speed of light limitation. The phenomenon of quantum entanglement cannot be used to send information faster than the speed of light.