A thought on waveguides(TEM mode)

• Thread starter vig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mode
In summary, the conversation discusses the physical reason why a TE wave that goes straight through a waveguide without any reflections cannot propagate. The amplitude of the E and H fields go down to zero as the wavefront approaches the plates, making the only solution for the amplitude to be uniformly zero. However, for an oblique wave, the wave strikes the walls and a reflected field is generated, allowing for equal amplitude throughout. The conversation also touches on the concept of visualizing a propagating wave as a superposition of two plane waves and the relationship between the angular spectrum and amplitude distribution of a waveguide mode. It is clarified that both TE and TM waves can propagate down a waveguide, but TEM modes do not exist in a waveguide.
vig
I have been wondering about the physical reason why a TE wave that goes STRAIGHT through the waveguide(without any reflections) can't propagate and would like some one to clarify the same
OK..so if i consider a UNIFORM PLANE TE WAVE that goes straight thorough, then by definition of uniform plane wave, the amplitudes across the wavefront must be constant. But, as the wavefront approaches the plates, the amplitude of the E and H field both go down to zero. Thus, the only solution being that the amplitude of E (and H) are uniformly zero.

However, for a wave that is oblique to the surface, the wave STRIKES the walls of the metallic plates, implying that a REFLECTED field is generated to make the resultant field on the conductor is zero, implying that the wavefront of the OBLIQUE wave CAN have equal amplitude throughout..

It would be great if someone clarifies this understanding!
Thank you!
P.S: I have gone through the mathematical derivations, but just tried to explain it physically with my limited knowledge...

Physics news on Phys.org
A TE mode wave will propagate down a waveguide, unless it is beyond cutoff. There is a way of visualizing a propagating wave as a superposition of two plane waves that zigzag down the guide. Is this construction that you are looking at?

Last edited:
You can describe any waveguide mode as an infinite sum of monochromatic, uniform plane waves propagating at different angles via the principle of superposition.

The "angular spectrum" (plane wave amplitude vs propagation angle) is related to the amplitude distribution of the waveguide mode via a Fourier transform.

Does that clarify things?

Claude.

marcusl said:
A TE mode wave will propagate down a waveguide, unless it is beyond cutoff. There is a way of visualizing a propagating wave as a superposition of two plane waves that zigzag down the guide. Is this construction that you are looking at?

Thanks for the reply..I know TE modes propagate..What I meant was a TE wave that goes STRAIGHT through...so it essentially is a TEM wave with Electric field being transverse to the direction of propagation...

First of all, TE and TM waves do propagate down the guide. I assume that's what you mean by "straight through"--after all, there's no other way down a waveguide than straight. Second, TEM modes do not exist in a waveguide. They require a center conductor such as in coax cable.

Related to A thought on waveguides(TEM mode)

1. What is a waveguide and what is TEM mode?

A waveguide is a physical structure that is used to guide electromagnetic waves. TEM mode refers to a type of electromagnetic wave propagation where the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation.

2. How are waveguides used in scientific research?

Waveguides are commonly used in scientific research to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves, especially in the microwave and radio frequency range. They are also used in various applications such as telecommunications, radar systems, and medical imaging.

3. What are the advantages of using TEM mode in waveguides?

TEM mode offers low signal loss and minimal distortion, making it a desirable choice for long distance communication and high precision measurements. It also allows for easy integration with other components in a waveguide system.

4. What are some examples of waveguide structures that support TEM mode?

Some common examples of waveguide structures that support TEM mode are coaxial cables, rectangular waveguides, and microstrip lines. These structures are used in various applications such as satellite communication, wireless networks, and microwave engineering.

5. What are some potential challenges in using TEM mode in waveguides?

One potential challenge in using TEM mode is the difficulty in achieving perfect TEM wave propagation, as there may be some minor deviations from the ideal conditions. Additionally, high frequency signals may experience attenuation or distortion due to imperfections in the waveguide structure.