A trace between a dog and a rabbit

• Thread starter athrun200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trace
In summary, the problem involves a dog chasing a rabbit at a constant speed u and v respectively. Part (a) involves finding the velocity vectors relative to the rabbit along the radial and tangential directions. Part (b) requires showing that the distance from the dog to the rabbit can be expressed as r=L(cot(θ/2))^(u/v)/sinθ. In part (c), the time for the dog to catch the rabbit, τ, can be found by integrating the velocity vectors with respect to time using the substitution u = cot(θ/2).
athrun200

Homework Statement

A dog is at a distance L due north of a rabbit. He starts to pursue the rabbit and its motion always points to the rabbit. Given that the rabbit keeps running due east with a constant speed v and the dog's speed is a constant u, where v<u. Find the time that the dog catches the rabbit according to the method stated below.

(a) Consider the rabbit as a moving origin of a polar coordinates. Let [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] be the postition vector of dog relative to rabbit. Write down the velocity vectors relative to the rabbit along [itex]\vec{e_{r}}[/itex] [itex]\vec{e_{θ}}[/itex] respectively.

(b) Show that r=[itex]\frac{L (cot \frac{θ}{2})^\frac{u}{v}}{sinθ}[/itex]

(c) Use the result of (a) and (b) to find τ, the time for the dog to catch the rabbit.
[Hint: Consider the relation τ=[itex]\int dt[/itex] and dt= [itex]\frac{dθ}{dθ'}[/itex]]

Homework Equations

u speed of the dog
v speed of the rabbit
θ angle measure from east to the position of the dog.
L original dist. between the 2 animals

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), we can simply do it by resolving components.
I get [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]=<u+vcosθ, vsinθ>

But for part b and c, I have no idea.
We need to integrate [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] with repest to t in order to get [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], but in part a, [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] depends on θ only.

Alway, I don't know where can I use the hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
athrun200 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), we can simply do it by resolving components.
I get [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]=<u+vcosθ, vsinθ>

But for part b and c, I have no idea.
We need to integrate [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] with repest to t in order to get [itex]\vec{r}[/itex], but in part a, [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] depends on θ only.

Alway, I don't know where can I use the hint.
Use the fact that [tex]\vec{v} = \dot{r}\vec{e}_r + r\dot{\theta}\,\vec{e}_\theta[/tex]and[tex]\frac{dr}{d\theta} = \frac{dr}{dt}\frac{dt}{d\theta}[/tex]
Make sure you get the signs correct.

Are you talking about part b?
If yes, then what is [itex]\frac{dt}{dθ}[/itex]

Is it [itex]\frac{1}{\dot{θ}}[/itex]?
Then how to find [itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]?

vela said:
Use the fact that [tex]\vec{v} = \dot{r}\vec{e}_r + r\dot{\theta}\,\vec{e}_\theta[/tex]and[tex]\frac{dr}{d\theta} = \frac{dr}{dt}\frac{dt}{d\theta}[/tex]
Make sure you get the signs correct.

I finish part b now! :)
But I don't know how to integrate the monster in part c.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 427
Isn't it supposed to be sin2 θ on the bottom?

I'd try the substitution u = cot(θ/2) first.

Last edited:

Related to A trace between a dog and a rabbit

1. What is a trace between a dog and a rabbit?

A trace between a dog and a rabbit is a track or path left behind by either a dog or a rabbit. It can be in the form of footprints, scents, or other physical evidence of their presence.

2. How can you tell the difference between a dog and a rabbit trace?

The size and shape of the tracks can help differentiate between a dog and a rabbit trace. Dog tracks are typically larger and have more defined claw marks, while rabbit tracks are smaller and have distinct hind footprints in front of the larger front footprints.

3. What other clues can be found in a trace between a dog and a rabbit?

In addition to footprints, other clues that can be found in a trace between a dog and a rabbit include fur, droppings, and chewed vegetation. These can help determine which animal was present in the area.

4. Can a dog and a rabbit share the same trace?

Yes, it is possible for a dog and a rabbit to share the same trace. For example, if a dog was chasing a rabbit and the rabbit ran through an area, both sets of tracks may be present in the same trace.

5. Why is it important to study traces between a dog and a rabbit?

Studying traces between a dog and a rabbit can provide valuable information about the behavior and interactions between these two animals. It can also help with tracking and identifying the presence of these animals in a certain area.