A very formulaic trig word problem (find an angle)

In summary, the zip line has a 450 foot vertical drop and a 1,750 foot horizontal drop. The angle of declension is 9/35 radians, or approximately 27.5 degrees.
solve

Homework Statement

A vacation resort in a mountain town has installed a zip line( a sturdy wire, down which costumers in harnesses can quickly descend from high altitudes) to attract patrons. One zip line is 1,750 feet long and allows its rider to descend from a ski slope down to the ground, a vertical drop of 450 feet. Calculate the angle of declension of the wire in radians, accurate to three decimal places.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a question about the drawing of this situation. I don't think I can draw it here so hopefully you can see what I am trying to draw from a little algebra work. See, the picture is drawn such that the angle works out to x=arcsin(9/35) from sinx=450/1,750. The top of the mountain is a plane.

I drew it in way that the angle works out to x=arccos(9/35) with adjacent side equaling 450 feet. In other words, my triangle is flipped upside down.

Why am I wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks you to find the angle of declination from the horizontal level.

The hill is something like this

|- -------------
|. -
|... -
|... -
|_____-

And you need to find the angle between the upper horizontal line and the slanted line. Your answer gives the angle between the slanted line and the vertical one.

Infinitum said:
The question asks you to find the angle of declination from the horizontal level.

The hill is something like this

|- -------------
|. -
|... -
|... -
|_____-

And you need to find the angle between the upper horizontal line and the slanted line. Your answer gives the angle between the slanted line and the vertical one.

Oh, I see now. Thanks, Infinitum.

edit:

Infinitum said:

Let's say there was no picture that I could look up in relation to this situation. Would it be really wrong, then, to assume that there is no horizontal line on top of the mountain, because I really don't get the reference to that from the question? What if that was said explicitly? Would then the angle between the slanted line and the vertical one be considered the angle of declination? Thanks.

Last edited:
solve said:
Let's say there was no picture that I could look up in relation to this situation. Would it be really wrong, then, to assume that there is no horizontal line on top of the mountain, because I really don't get the reference to that from the question? What if that was said explicitly? Would then the angle between the slanted line and the vertical one be considered the angle of declination? Thanks.

The angle of declination(depression) by definition means from a given horizontal level. This diagram should clear it up for you.

angle%20of%20depression.gif

Ah-huh! So the elevation angle would be the one between the horizontal line (the ground) and the sight line? Acute one? Obtuse one?

Last edited:
Yep. It might change to a different horizontal line depending on the problem, but it usually is the ground.

Cool. In the drawing above which angle is the elevation angle? The obtuse one or the acute one?

Thank You.

As far as I know, elevation and depression angles are acute. It just doesn't feel right to let them be obtuse :rolleyes:

That's it, Infinitum. I appreciate your hep and thank you.

You're welcome! :smile:

Related to A very formulaic trig word problem (find an angle)

1. What is a formulaic trig word problem?

A formulaic trig word problem is a type of math problem that involves using trigonometric formulas to find the value of an unknown angle. These problems often involve right triangles and require knowledge of basic trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do I solve a formulaic trig word problem?

To solve a formulaic trig word problem, you need to identify the given information and the unknown angle. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric formula and plug in the known values to find the unknown angle. Finally, check your answer by using a calculator or by using the Pythagorean theorem to ensure that the triangle is right.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. It can be expressed as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a formulaic trig word problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a formulaic trig word problem. Most scientific calculators have trigonometric functions built in, making it easier to calculate values for sine, cosine, and tangent. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the problem and the formulas before relying solely on a calculator.

5. What are some real-life applications of formulaic trig word problems?

Formulaic trig word problems have many real-life applications, including architecture, engineering, navigation, and surveying. For example, architects use trigonometric formulas to determine the height of a building, engineers use them to design bridges and other structures, and sailors use them to navigate using the stars and other celestial bodies.