A way to plastically flip a circular polariser?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a material or method that can flip a polariser's polarisation, specifically for photonic computing. The suggested solution is to look into liquid crystals and the rotation of the plane of polarized light, which is the technology used in LCDs. The person asking also wonders if there is a solid version of this technology.
1832vin
hi, I'm currently talking about light, and I'm trying to find out if there is a material or a method that can flip a polariser's polarisation...

ie, if i apply a current, then this crystal changed from a clockwize polariser to an anti-clockwize polariser, and it is either a plastic or elastic flip

because I'm currently looking at photonic computing, and i think i saw a paper on a similar topic before... (i forgot the stimuli of the flip , so it may be pressure, heat or loads of other stuff...

thankyou

Science news on Phys.org
1832vin said:
hi, I'm currently talking about light, and I'm trying to find out if there is a material or a method that can flip a polariser's polarisation...

ie, if i apply a current, then this crystal changed from a clockwize polariser to an anti-clockwize polariser, and it is either a plastic or elastic flip

because I'm currently looking at photonic computing, and i think i saw a paper on a similar topic before... (i forgot the stimuli of the flip , so it may be pressure, heat or loads of other stuff...

thankyou

Do a search on Liquid Crystals and the Rotation of the Plane of Polarized Light. That is the technology behind LCDs (liquid crystal displays). :smile:

berkeman said:
Do a search on Liquid Crystals and the Rotation of the Plane of Polarized Light. That is the technology behind LCDs (liquid crystal displays). :smile:

thankyou...
i face plamed myself for not able to recall this simple technology...

thanks

BTW, is there a solid version of this?

FAQ: A way to plastically flip a circular polariser?

1. What is a circular polarizer and why is it important?

A circular polarizer is a type of filter used in photography and other applications to reduce glare and improve the overall image quality. It is important because it can help enhance the contrast and colors in a photograph, making it more visually appealing.

2. How does a circular polarizer work?

A circular polarizer works by blocking certain polarized light waves while allowing others to pass through. This creates a more balanced and less reflective image, resulting in improved clarity and color saturation.

3. How do you flip a circular polarizer?

To flip a circular polarizer, simply rotate it in its mount until you achieve the desired effect. This can be done manually or with the use of a polarizing filter ring, which allows for easier and more precise adjustments.

4. What are the benefits of using a circular polarizer?

The main benefits of using a circular polarizer include reducing glare and reflections, enhancing colors and contrast, and improving overall image quality. It can also help with reducing haze and increasing the saturation of blue skies.

5. What are some common uses for a circular polarizer?

Circular polarizers are commonly used in photography to improve the quality of outdoor images, such as landscapes and portraits. They are also used in scientific and industrial applications to reduce glare and improve visibility in various materials and surfaces.

Back