A2 chemistry - how do i know there's an OH in the products?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with finding a gas concentration and molar mass, as well as identifying the products and balancing a reaction. The conversation includes attempts to divide and use density to find the mass and volume of the gas, as well as the role of OH- in balancing a redox reaction in water.
1832vin
This is the question and the answer, the problem is i don't know how to get to the answer
top is question and bottom is answer

PCbyMXO.png

I attempted to divide the gas concentration by 24 to get molar mass, but that didn't work
and how am i suppose to know that OH- is one of the products? i guessed that there is fe(OH)3, but that's all i got right...

it's the very last question from this A level paper

please help, my exams are close, and i have no clue at all...

Physics news on Phys.org
1832vin said:
I attempted to divide the gas concentration by 24 to get molar mass

I see no concentration in the question.

And why do you divide? You have mass of 1 mL, right? Assuming there is one mole of a gas at RTP, what volume does it occupy? What is its mass (given the density as listed)?

It is not that there is OH- between products, however, you won't be able to balance the reaction without either H+ of OH-. That's a quite common situation when it comes to redox reactions in water.

1.3333 × 22 = very close to 32 so that part works well.

FAQ: A2 chemistry - how do i know there's an OH in the products?

What is an OH group in chemistry?

An OH group, also known as a hydroxyl group, is composed of one oxygen atom and one hydrogen atom. It is a functional group commonly found in organic compounds and plays a crucial role in many chemical reactions.

How do I know if there's an OH group in the products of a chemical reaction?

An OH group can be identified in the products of a chemical reaction by performing various tests, such as the bromine water test or the silver nitrate test. These tests involve adding specific reagents to the reaction products and observing for the formation of a precipitate or a color change, which indicates the presence of an OH group.

Can an OH group be present in both organic and inorganic compounds?

Yes, an OH group can be present in both organic and inorganic compounds. In organic compounds, it is usually attached to a carbon atom, while in inorganic compounds, it may be attached to other elements such as metals or nonmetals.

What are the properties of compounds containing an OH group?

Compounds containing an OH group tend to have certain common properties. They are usually polar molecules, have high boiling and melting points, and are soluble in water. They also have the ability to form hydrogen bonds, which affects their physical and chemical properties.

Why is it important to identify the presence of an OH group in products of a chemical reaction?

The presence of an OH group in the products of a chemical reaction can provide important information about the reaction mechanism and the type of compounds involved. It can also help predict the reactivity and behavior of the products in future reactions. Additionally, identifying OH groups can aid in the purification and separation of products in the laboratory setting.