Abaqus 6.14 CAE - Imperfection Study

In summary, the project aims to study the effect of imperfections on the buckling capability of a soda can under axial loading.
Ben_P_1992
The title of the project is as follows:
A study of the effect of imperfections on the buckling capability of a soda can under axial loading.

My group and I are aiming to carry out the following:
  • Linear buckling analysis of soda can to gain first 5 eigenvalues
  • Riks buckling analysis with plasticity and the introduction of imperfections in the form of wall thickness
  • Riks buckling analysis with plasticity and the introduction of imperfections in the form of out-of-roundness
  • Experimental analysis on an Instron machine to compare with results gained on Abaqus CAE
The following steps were carried out for he linear buckling analysis:
  • Create part (Shell, extrusion)
  • Apply material properties and section
  • Mesh – Sweep
  • Sets of up and down slave nodes with master reference points
  • Steps – Linear perturbation, Buckle
  • Apply constraints, BCs and load
The same was then carried out for the Riks analysis with the following changes:
  • Add plasticity values for material using true-stress strain curve
  • Steps- Riks, static step
  • Load is set for that to be equal to first buckling load (-2554.5 Pa)
  • Apply load equal to that of the first buckling load
  • Introduce imperfections using edit keywords window
    • Max deformation from linear buckling analysis normalised (1/1.092E-03)
    • Multiply by thickness (0.097E-03)
    • Multiply by 0.1 for 10% imperfection, 0.2 for 20% and so on
  • Using edit keywords window, type in what's shown on the attached image (where Buckle_load are the results from the linear analysis)
We are now a little stuck on how to compute the imperfection in terms of out of roundness. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-9_17-33-23.png
    upload_2015-5-9_17-33-23.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,051
  • upload_2015-5-9_17-36-54.png
    upload_2015-5-9_17-36-54.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,155
Likes berkeman
Hi Ben_P_1992!

I'm new user of ABAQUS. I hope you can help me to train some knowledgement about ABAQUS related to imperfection+ static ,Riks method with educational fee

Hope receive your reply?Sincerely!My email: thanhhabk2006@gmail.com ur email?Ben_P_1992

Hi
i am trying to model a cyclic load for a pipe-elbow and when i run the model it shows me the following error: :Time increment required is less than the minimum specified". Could anyone please give me some suggestions on how to eliminate this error. I have tried to change the time step, the time increment and the seeding of the model but didn't help.
Thanks in advance

Related to Abaqus 6.14 CAE - Imperfection Study

1. What is Abaqus 6.14 CAE?

Abaqus 6.14 CAE is a finite element analysis software used for simulating and analyzing structural and mechanical behavior of materials. It is widely used in engineering, science, and research fields.

2. What is an Imperfection Study in Abaqus 6.14 CAE?

An Imperfection Study in Abaqus 6.14 CAE is a type of analysis that takes into account small deviations or imperfections in the geometry or material properties of a structure. It helps to predict the effects of these imperfections on the overall behavior of the structure.

3. How is an Imperfection Study performed in Abaqus 6.14 CAE?

An Imperfection Study is performed by defining the imperfections in the geometry or material properties of the structure and then running a simulation to analyze the effects of these imperfections on the structure's behavior. It can be done using various techniques such as perturbation methods, eigenvalue analysis, or direct integration methods.

4. What are the benefits of performing an Imperfection Study in Abaqus 6.14 CAE?

Performing an Imperfection Study in Abaqus 6.14 CAE can help to improve the accuracy of structural analysis by accounting for small deviations that may have a significant impact on the behavior of the structure. It can also help to identify potential failure modes and provide insights into the design and optimization of structures.

5. Can Abaqus 6.14 CAE be used for Imperfection Studies in all types of structures?

Yes, Abaqus 6.14 CAE can be used for Imperfection Studies in a wide range of structures, including beams, plates, shells, and 3D solid elements. It is a versatile software that can handle complex geometries and material behaviors, making it suitable for various applications in different industries.

Back