Abelian group on the natural numbers (including 0) ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of defining an abelian group on the natural numbers (including 0). Various suggestions and solutions are proposed, including the use of addition mod n, where n is any integer, and using Fermat's and Euler's theorems to find inverses. The question also raises the issue of whether there exists a unique way to define such a group.
jobsism
Is it possible to define an abelian group on the natural numbers (including 0)? It's just that for every binary operation I've tried, I can't find an inverse!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jobsism said:
… for every binary operation I've tried …

addition? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

You can't do that.

Inverses include negative numbers for a 0 identity element and these aren't part of the natural numbers.

tiny-tim said:

Not every element has an inverse in that case.

To the OP: a group operation might be defined by "structure transport".
For example, there exists a bijection [itex]f:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. We have that [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] is a group under addition.
We can now define

[tex]n*m = f^{-1}(f(n)+f(m))[/tex]

The same thing works with bijections [itex]f:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow G[/itex] where G is a countable group.

jobsism said:
Is it possible to define an abelian group on the natural numbers (including 0)? It's just that for every binary operation I've tried, I can't find an inverse!

Addition mod n, where n is any integer.

mathman said:
Addition mod n, where n is any integer.
Depending upon what precisely you mean, this is either not an operation on natural numbers, or it's obviously not a group operation on natural numbers.

(e.g. on the latter point 0+n=0 and 0+0=0 would imply n = 0-0 = 0. Contradiction!)

Hurkyl said:
Depending upon what precisely you mean, this is either not an operation on natural numbers, or it's obviously not a group operation on natural numbers.

(e.g. on the latter point 0+n=0 and 0+0=0 would imply n = 0-0 = 0. Contradiction!)

Did you mean ALL natural numbers had to be included?
Otherwise it is a group on integers from 0 to n-1.

mathman said:
Did you mean ALL natural numbers had to be included?
Otherwise it is a group on integers from 0 to n-1.
That was the original question, as far as I can tell.

Hurkyl said:
That was the original question, as far as I can tell.

I believe the person who asked the original question should answer it. We are not mind readers.

mathman said:
I believe the person who asked the original question should answer it. We are not mind readers.

But we are readers. The OP explicitly says "Is it possible to define an abelian group on the natural numbers (including 0)?"

DonAntonio

Sorry for the late reply,guys!

@mathman: As DonAntonio said, I clearly stated in the question what is required.

I think that the answer given by micromass is the only possible way of achieving this, though it sort of leaves me unsatisfied. Is it possible to prove that there doesn't exist any other way of doing this?

Thanks everyone, for the replies! :D

I think mathman has made a good point.

We know that from Fermat's and Eulers theorems in number, you can get inverses when trying to solve for exponentiation mod (n) which is used in a lot of the public key cryptosystems and inverses are guaranteed.

The only thing though that I see with this kind of approach, is that in these kinds of situations, the n has to be bigger than the numbers involved that you are dealing with and if you had a bounded n for all of the natural numbers, then I don't think that a unique inverse would exist which means you could not form a group.

If you can find a way to use the kind of behaviour you get using the Euler identity but having your n in your mod (n) part of the binary group operation where n is fixed and still maintain a unique inverse across all elements, then you could form a group.

The reason why I don't think you can do this has to do with the behaviour of the mod function and it's behaviours with respect to bijections like you would get with normal sine or cosine functions over the whole real line.

jobsism said:
Sorry for the late reply,guys!

@mathman: As DonAntonio said, I clearly stated in the question what is required.

I think that the answer given by micromass is the only possible way of achieving this, though it sort of leaves me unsatisfied. Is it possible to prove that there doesn't exist any other way of doing this?

Thanks everyone, for the replies! :D

Without the word "all", there is some ambiguity, since my original reply gives groups on natural numbers, but not all natural numbers.

Related to Abelian group on the natural numbers (including 0) ?

1. What is an Abelian group on the natural numbers?

An Abelian group on the natural numbers, also known as a commutative group, is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of natural numbers (including 0) and an operation, typically addition or multiplication, that satisfies the four group axioms: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. How is an Abelian group on the natural numbers different from a regular group?

An Abelian group on the natural numbers is a special type of group where the operation is commutative, meaning that the order in which the elements are combined does not affect the result. In a regular group, the operation may not be commutative.

3. Can you give an example of an Abelian group on the natural numbers?

One example of an Abelian group on the natural numbers is the set of integers (including 0) under addition. This satisfies the four group axioms, and the operation of addition is commutative.

4. What is the significance of Abelian groups on the natural numbers?

Abelian groups on the natural numbers have many applications in mathematics, including in number theory and algebraic geometry. They also have practical uses in computer science and cryptography.

5. Are there any other properties or characteristics of Abelian groups on the natural numbers?

Some other notable properties of Abelian groups on the natural numbers include the existence of a neutral element (0 in the case of addition, 1 in the case of multiplication) and the existence of an inverse for every element. They also follow the commutative and associative properties, which can be useful for simplifying calculations.