Aberration of Light: Understanding Transformation Equations for Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving transformations and the reason for a minus R term in the transformation for y'. The minus R term is necessary to return to the origin at the considered point in time.
BareFootKing

Homework Statement

http://s22.postimg.org/5vp0p2aox/Untitled.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the solution

I understand everything that must be done after one find the correct transformations for the two coordinates, but I don't understand why the transformation for y' has a minus R at the end. I would think y' = the first two terms x¬0cos + y¬0sin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is ¬?

The last term comes from the squaring of [highlight]+[/highlight] y0sin(wt) [highlight]-[/highlight] R

Sorry, the" ¬" of "y¬0" was not suppose to be there. I was typing my post on word and copied and pasted it to the forum. I meant I thought that y' = xocos(wt) + yosin(wt). Why is there a minus R term for y' and not for x'. I understand if it had the R term and we squared y' and x' and add them up and take the square root we would get the numerator shown in the final answer. But I didn't understand why y' had the minus R term in the begging.

Ah, that R.
At the considered point in time, you are at (0,R), so you have to subtract this R to get to the origin again.

+ R.

As a scientist, it is important to not only understand the equations and their solutions, but also the reasoning behind them. In this case, the aberration of light phenomenon can be explained by the motion of the observer and the finite speed of light. The minus R at the end of the transformation for y' represents the correction needed due to the motion of the observer. As the observer moves, the light from the object will reach their eyes at a different angle, causing a shift in the y' coordinate. This shift is represented by the minus R term in the equation. Without this correction, the coordinates would not accurately represent the true position of the object as seen by the observer. Therefore, it is essential to include this term in the transformation equations to properly account for the aberration of light phenomenon.

Related to Aberration of Light: Understanding Transformation Equations for Coordinates

1. What is the Aberration of Light?

The Aberration of Light is a phenomenon in which the apparent position of a celestial object appears to be slightly shifted due to the relative motion between the observer and the object. It was first observed by astronomer James Bradley in 1727 and is caused by the finite speed of light and the Earth's motion around the Sun.

2. How does the Aberration of Light affect celestial coordinates?

The Aberration of Light causes a shift in the coordinates of a celestial object, making it appear to be slightly off its expected position. This shift is dependent on the relative velocity between the observer and the object, as well as the angle of observation.

3. What are the transformation equations for coordinates?

The transformation equations for coordinates are mathematical formulas that are used to correct for the Aberration of Light. They take into account the relative velocity and angle of observation to determine the correct coordinates of a celestial object.

4. How do the transformation equations for coordinates work?

The transformation equations for coordinates use trigonometric functions and the speed of light to calculate the amount of shift in the coordinates of a celestial object. They take into account the Earth's motion around the Sun and the direction and speed of the observer's motion to determine the correct coordinates.

5. Why is it important to understand the Aberration of Light and the transformation equations for coordinates?

Understanding the Aberration of Light and the transformation equations for coordinates is crucial for accurate astronomical observations and calculations. Without taking into account this phenomenon, the coordinates of celestial objects would be incorrect, leading to errors in navigation and scientific measurements.