Ability to feel eletrical/magnetic fields?

• Thread starter royzizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary: There are those who believe that they can feel fields up to a million volts. Although no scientific evidence supports this claim, many people feel an electrical or magnetic field when they are near high voltage lines, power plants, or strong magnets. If you are experiencing these symptoms, it is best to stay away from these areas.
royzizzle
ability to feel electrical/magnetic fields?

are there anyone here who has worked in a manufactoring environment? I have found that when stepping out into areas with higher amplitude electrical fields, I get a strange feel where my chest feels heavy and breathing becomes more difficult.

Any other electrical engineers who have experienced this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you're having those kind of symptoms, you should probably avoid fields of those magnitudes.

I've been around high voltage and you can feel it. But they were mostly DC fields. I've never been near a field that would cause the cardiac problems you're describing. Keep in mind the body runs on electricity in the form of nerve, cardiac, and brain activity. So it's not really surprising that high energy fields could have a disruptive effect on your innards.

I have worked in some very high magnetic fields - no physical sensation, but I did have my credit cards erased. - not kidding.

The application is chlorine plant - 200KA DC current. -- The operators in the control room could tell how hard they were running by how much the images on the CRT computer screens were shifting.

I've worked along side an aluminum potline also with 200kA DC current. We measured the field at 200 gauss. This was in the 1970s before electronic watches. Vending machines wouldn't work either. The only watches that would work were Timex because they had brass gears. The watches with steel gears all stopped. I felt no effects but my keys would move around in my pockets and my toolbox would rotate as I carried it.

I was installing radio controls on the cranes and the magnetic fields saturated the ferrite cores of the transformers in the receivers and destroyed their tuning. We tried using a mu-metal case but that didn't help.

I can provide some insights on this topic. Our bodies have a natural electric field that is created by the flow of ions and charged particles within our cells. This field is very weak and is not typically perceived by our senses. However, some individuals may have heightened sensitivity to electrical or magnetic fields, which can manifest as physical discomfort or sensations.

In terms of working in a manufacturing environment, it is possible that the equipment and machinery used in these settings can generate higher amplitude electrical fields. This can potentially affect individuals with heightened sensitivity, leading to the symptoms described in the post.

It is important to note that there is limited scientific evidence on the ability of humans to feel electrical or magnetic fields. However, there have been studies that suggest some individuals may have a sensitivity to these fields, but the mechanisms behind this sensitivity are not well understood.

If you are experiencing discomfort or any physical symptoms in these environments, it is important to consult a medical professional. Additionally, taking precautions such as wearing protective gear and limiting exposure to high amplitude fields can help mitigate any potential effects.

Related to Ability to feel eletrical/magnetic fields?

What is the ability to feel electrical/magnetic fields?

The ability to feel electrical/magnetic fields, also known as magnetoreception or electroreception, is the sensory perception of electric and magnetic fields by living organisms. It allows animals to detect changes in their environment, navigate, and even communicate with each other.

Which animals have the ability to feel electrical/magnetic fields?

Many animals, including birds, fish, sharks, and some mammals, have been found to possess the ability to sense electrical and magnetic fields. However, it is most well-developed in aquatic animals, particularly those that live in murky or dark environments.

How do animals with this ability detect electrical/magnetic fields?

Animals with this ability have specialized cells called electroreceptors or magnetoreceptors, which are located in their skin, nose, or eyes. These cells can sense electric or magnetic fields and send signals to the brain, allowing the animals to interpret and respond to their environment.

Can humans also feel electrical/magnetic fields?

While humans do not have the same level of sensitivity as other animals, some evidence suggests that we do have the ability to sense electromagnetic fields to some extent. For example, some people report feeling tingling or prickling sensations when exposed to strong electromagnetic fields, such as near power lines.

What are the potential applications of understanding this ability?

The study of animal magnetoreception and electroreception can have practical applications in fields such as medicine, neuroscience, and technology. Understanding how animals sense and navigate using electrical and magnetic fields can also provide insights into the evolution of sensory systems and animal behavior.