About capacitor -- how can current flow "through" it?

In summary, the capacitor is able to accumulate charge even when there is no current flowing through it because of the electric potential difference that is set up by the battery or charger.
RotatingUniverse
Usually people get kind of frustrated about how can a capacitor charge up when there's no current flowing through, including me.
Can I interpret the picture better by considering the electric potential set up by the battery across the circuit? Is this interpretation a correct one?
Sorry for asking this question which has been asked for a thousand times.

Engineering news on Phys.org
VeraLi5678 said:
Usually people get kind of frustrated about how can a capacitor charge up when there's no current flowing through, including me.
A capacitor has two wires emerging from it. While it's charging, current flows "in" on one wire and flows "out" by the other wire. To most people, that's as good as flowing "through" the capacitor.

For those who are reluctant to accept this, the concept of displacement current was introduced to show a current passing through the dielectric.

NascentOxygen said:
For those who are reluctant to accept this, the concept of displacement current was introduced to show a current passing through the dielectric.

So you mean it's nothing to do with the electric potential difference set up by the battery or charger?

VeraLi5678 said:
So you mean it's nothing to do with the electric potential difference set up by the battery or charger?

It's not that it has nothing to do with those concepts, they are related after all, it's that charging a capacitor adds charge to one plate while removing charge from the other plate. Positive charge if you're using conventional current. Negative charges if you want to talk about electrons. It's like pumping water from one cup to another cup. The water doesn't pass through the cup itself, it has to go through a hose, with some sort of pump providing the energy and force to move the water.

VeraLi5678 said:
The charge accumulating on the plates is pushed along by the battery potential, but if you are considering a circuit of ideal elements then you must include a resistance in series with the capacitor and battery to account for the behaviour we observe for this arrangement using practical devices.

Here's an explanation written for beginners
http://amasci.com/emotor/cap1.html
When we "charge" a conventional metal-plate capacitor, the power supply pushes electrons into one plate, and the fields from these extra electrons reach across the gap between the plates, forcing an equal number of electrons to simultaneously flow out of the other plate and into the power supply. This creates opposite areas of imbalanced charge: one plate has less electrons and excess protons, and the other plate has more electrons than protons. Each individual plate does store charge.

However, if we consider the capacitor as a whole, no electrons have been put into the capacitor. None have been removed. The same number of electrons are in a "charged" capacitor as in a capacitor which has been totally "discharged." Yes, a certain amount of charge has been forced to flow momentarily during "charging," and a rising potential difference has appeared. But the current is directed through the capacitor, and the incoming electrons force other electrons to leave at the same time. Every bit of charge that's injected into one terminal *must* be forced out of the other terminal at the same time. The amount of charge inside the capacitor never changes. The net charge on each plate is canceled by the opposite charge on the other plate. Capacitors are never "charged" with electric charge!

The answer to your puzzlement is this
just like with a wire,
for every charge that goes in one end a charge comes out the other end.
But they are not the same exact Tom Dick and Harry charges.
Push Tom in one side of a capacitor and Harry or Frank or 'an electron named Sue' might come out the other side.
So it appears as if current is flowing through the capacitor.

(Apologies to Johnny Cash and Shel Silverstein... old jim )

Likes RotatingUniverse and davenn
nice one Jim :smile:

Likes jim hardy
This humorous picture explain how AC current flow through capacitor.
My Capacitor Spoof.png

When we "charge" a conventional metal-plate capacitor, the power supply pushes electrons into one plate, and the fields from these extra electrons reach across the gap between the plates, forcing an equal number of electrons to simultaneously flow out of the other plate and into the power supply.

What happens when all the free electrons have been repelled from the "other" plate :-)

Likes RotatingUniverse
Just wanting to check whether I get the correct concept.

Is it that theoretically, when I connect a circuit like the one shown in below, at the two end of the switch would accumulate some charges, though small, and the ammeter shall read a small current passing through. However this effect can be ignored as the end of switch is so small and narrow that only a very small amount of charge can be stayed at equilibrium state.

Is this guess correct?

capacitor_Q.jpg

Attachments

• capacitor_Q.jpg
    capacitor_Q.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 679
CWatters said:
What happens when all the free electrons have been repelled from the "other" plate :-)

This seems an interesting question to think about.
Perhaps the charge on one side would stop accumulating? Due to repulsion?

RotatingUniverse said:
Just wanting to check whether I get the correct concept.

Is it that theoretically, when I connect a circuit like the one shown in below, at the two end of the switch would accumulate some charges, though small, and the ammeter shall read a small current passing through. However this effect can be ignored as the end of switch is so small and narrow that only a very small amount of charge can be stayed at equilibrium state.

Is this guess correct?

View attachment 101193
There might be a small capacitance between the contacts in a switch but for something like a lighting circuit this can usually be ignored.

Sometimes there is more capacitance between the wires on each side of the switch, especially if they are cores in the same cable. If the circuit is AC this capacitance can allow enough power to bypass the switch to light LED lamps. I have this problem in my bathroom. When I changed from halogen to LED lamps I found they were glowing even with the switch off.

CWatters said:
Hmmm saturation, like iron in a magnetic medium ?
i guess if there's enough voltage it'd start stripping them from next shell ?

I've long wondered
since polar molecules in the dielectric are rotating into alignment with the field
is there a saturation effect where Q and V are no longer proportional ?

CWatters said:

You'll have dielectric breakdown LONG before you can repel all the free electrons from the other plate. Then you'll have a short circuit and the plates will equalize (and the capacitor will probably never work again, but that depends on what it's made of).

To see why, think of the density of states of a conductor (e.g. Aluminum), then compare that to say the charge on a 1uF cap at 10V (remember an electron has charge 1.6e-19 C). You'll see there are many, many orders of magnitude more conduction electrons than there is charge on the capacitor (as in there are many trillion times more free electrons in the plates).

If you're playing along at home, what voltage would you need on a 1 uF cap made from two plates each with a volume of 1cm^3? If you can invent a dielectric that can take that voltage in that dimension you might get a Nobel Prize.

Last edited:
analogdesign said:
you might get a Noble Prize.
a legacy of Swedish inventor, Alfred Nobel

analogdesign said:
what voltage would you need on a 1 uF cap made from two plates each with a volume of 1cm^3?

?? volume of plates ? Am i missing something ?
V = Q/C

do you mean voltage to oops- edit: hold i mean remove from one plate all the conduction electrons , and double their number on the other plate ?

"Density of States ".. the depth of my ignorance is unfathomable... i need a tutorial

If there's on the order of 10^22 free charges per cm^3
10^22charges X 1.6X10^-19C/charge = 1600 Coulombs

V = 1600 / 1E10^-6 = 1.6 gigavolts ? Now, there's a Flux Capacitior !

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
jim hardy said:
?? volume of plates ? Am i missing something ?
V = Q/C

do you mean voltage to oops- edit: hold i mean remove from one plate all the conduction electrons , and double their number on the other plate ?

Yes, exactly. You're not missing anything. The question was what would happen if the capacitor plate ran out of free electrons to remove. My little puzzle was what voltage would be required to do that in a real capacitor.

jim hardy said:
"Density of States ".. the depth of my ignorance is unfathomable... i need a tutorial
If there's on the order of 10^22 free charges per cm^3
10^22charges X 1.6X10^-19C/charge = 1600 Coulombs

You don't need a tutorial. You got the concept, just not the term. Density of States is just the number of states at each energy level that are available to be filled by a charge carrier. If you multiply it by the probability a given state is filled (Fermi-Dirac statistics) you get the number of charge carriers at each energy. In the quantum theory of solids, if a charge carrier is free, it is said to be in the conduction band. So, I'm saying density of states as a shorthand for the number conduction band electrons that are filled at thermal equilibrium (I'm assuming a metal room temperature). In a metal, virtually all available states in the conduction band are filled so my shorthand works for a metal. In fact, some people use that as the very definition of a metal (from a quantum standpoint). So, if virtually all available conduction band states are filled --> metal. If virtually no available conduction band states are filled at thermal equilibrium --> insultator. If most states are unfilled but a meaningful number ARE --> semiconductor. It is really as simple as that.

You got the value right. I picked a volume because if you have plates with atomic-level thickness there wouldn't be that many free electrons.
jim hardy said:
V = 1600 / 1E10^-6 = 1.6 gigavolts ? Now, there's a Flux Capacitior !
Indeed!

Likes jim hardy
analogdesign said:
Density of States is just the number of states at each energy level that are available to be filled by a charge carrier. If you multiply it by the probability a given state is filled (Fermi-Dirac statistics) you get the number of charge carriers at each energy. In the quantum theory of solids, if a charge carrier is free, it is said to be in the conduction band. So, I'm saying density of states as a shorthand for the number conduction band electrons that are filled at thermal equilibrium (I'm assuming a metal room temperature).

I THANK YOU for that wonderful explanation. The Wiki one was , well, out of my league.
I learned a new term today and that makes it a good day.

analogdesign said:
In fact, some people use that as the very definition of a metal (from a quantum standpoint). So, if virtually all available conduction band states are filled --> metal. If virtually no available conduction band states are filled at thermal equilibrium --> insultator. If most states are unfilled but a meaningful number ARE --> semiconductor. It is really as simple as that.

I've run across that description of metal before, and i envision metal as an amalgam of atoms awash in a sea of loosely bound electrons .
My mental crutch for the concept is liquid mercury and i envision the electron sea as a shiny fluid engulfing the metal's crystal lattice..
But when demonstrating "conventional" versus "electron" current in Kirchoff's laws i draw "electron flow" with Green arrows.

jim hardy said:
"... conventional" versus "electron" current ...
[PLAIN said:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-1/conventional-versus-electron-flow/]...[/PLAIN] the habit of visualizing electrons flowing against the arrows of polarized device symbols isn’t that difficult to learn, and in the end I’ve found that I can follow the operation of a circuit equally well using either mode of notation. Still, I sometimes wonder if it would all be much easier if we went back to the source of the confusion—Ben Franklin’s errant conjecture—and fixed the problem there, calling electrons “positive” and protons “negative.”

:oldbiggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jim hardy

Related to About capacitor -- how can current flow "through" it?

1. How does a capacitor allow current to flow through it?

A capacitor works by storing electrical energy in an electric field between two conductive plates. When a voltage is applied to the plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field that allows current to flow through the capacitor, from one plate to the other.

2. Can current flow through a capacitor even when it's fully charged?

Yes, current can still flow through a capacitor even when it's fully charged. The capacitor will act as a temporary energy storage device, releasing the stored energy when needed. However, the flow of current through a fully charged capacitor will eventually decrease as the capacitor approaches its maximum charge.

3. How does the size of a capacitor affect the flow of current through it?

The size of a capacitor, specifically the distance between the plates and the surface area of the plates, affects the capacitance and therefore the flow of current through it. A larger distance between plates or a smaller surface area will result in a lower capacitance and a slower flow of current. Conversely, a smaller distance between plates or a larger surface area will result in a higher capacitance and a faster flow of current.

4. Can a capacitor regulate the flow of current through a circuit?

Yes, a capacitor can regulate the flow of current through a circuit by storing and releasing electrical energy as needed. This can be useful in smoothing out fluctuations in voltage and providing a steady flow of current in a circuit.

5. Is a capacitor necessary for current to flow in a circuit?

No, a capacitor is not necessary for current to flow in a circuit. In fact, many simple circuits do not use capacitors at all. However, capacitors can be useful in certain applications, such as in power supplies and timing circuits, to regulate and control the flow of current.