About current/voltage reflection in a long coaxial wire.

In summary: If the reflected pulse arrives slightly after the incident pulse, their amplitudes will be added, otherwise they will cancel each other out.
Cactor
If I have a long coaxial wire with open end and apply a short voltage pulse, that pulse begins propagating through it until it reaches the end. Then, it reflects back to where it came from. I understand that it behaves like a normal wave, maintaining its energy and bouncing when it reaches a wall. What I don't understand is that the measured voltage at the end of the wire is DOUBLE the applied voltage.

http://www.aps.anl.gov/Science/Publications/lsnotes/ls156/Images/ls156_f1.gif

In books, I read that the voltage at the end of the wire is always the sum of the incident and the reflected one, like:

V=Vi+Vr

But they never explain where does that formula come from. Does anyone know WHY is it the sum of the other two?

Edit: Should I ask this in general forum?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cactor said:
If I have a long coaxial wire with open end and apply a short voltage pulse, that pulse begins propagating through it until it reaches the end. Then, it reflects back to where it came from. I understand that it behaves like a normal wave, maintaining its energy and bouncing when it reaches a wall. What I don't understand is that the measured voltage at the end of the wire is DOUBLE the applied voltage.

http://www.aps.anl.gov/Science/Publications/lsnotes/ls156/Images/ls156_f1.gif

In books, I read that the voltage at the end of the wire is always the sum of the incident and the reflected one, like:

V=Vi+Vr

But they never explain where does that formula come from. Does anyone know WHY is it the sum of the other two?

Edit: Should I ask this in general forum?

Welcome to the PF. The EE forum here is fine for this question of yours.

You get 2x the incident voltage because the reflected pulse is in-phase with the incident pulse. The Transmission Line Equations (and info on the Reflection Coefficient) are a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line

If you could remove the signal source before the pulse returned, (so that both ends of the cable were open ended) it would bounce from end to end of the cable until it was completely attenuated by losses in the cable.

Because there is only one pulse, there is no incident pulse following the first one, so it doesn't get to combine with a new pulse.

Even in a continuously driven line, the interaction between the incoming wave and the reflected one is not always additive. It depends on the time it takes for the pulse to return compared with the period of the incoming waveform.

Related to About current/voltage reflection in a long coaxial wire.

What is current/voltage reflection in a long coaxial wire?

Current/voltage reflection in a long coaxial wire refers to the phenomenon where a portion of the current or voltage traveling through the wire is reflected back towards the source due to mismatched impedance between the wire and the load. This can result in interference and signal loss.

What causes current/voltage reflection in a long coaxial wire?

Current/voltage reflection in a long coaxial wire is caused by a mismatch in impedance between the wire and the load. This can be due to a change in the diameter of the wire, a break or bend in the wire, or a change in the dielectric properties of the surrounding materials.

How does current/voltage reflection affect the performance of a long coaxial wire?

Current/voltage reflection can cause interference and signal loss in a long coaxial wire. This can lead to a decrease in the overall performance of the wire, resulting in weaker signals and lower efficiency.

What can be done to reduce current/voltage reflection in a long coaxial wire?

To reduce current/voltage reflection in a long coaxial wire, it is important to ensure that the wire and load have matched impedance. This can be achieved by using impedance matching devices, such as baluns, and by properly designing and maintaining the wire and its surroundings.

How can current/voltage reflection be measured in a long coaxial wire?

Current/voltage reflection can be measured by using a reflectometer, which sends a pulse down the wire and measures the amount of reflected energy. This can provide information about the impedance mismatch and the magnitude of the reflection. Other methods, such as time-domain reflectometry, can also be used to measure current/voltage reflection.