About the effects of relativity when measuring the age of the universe

In summary, according to this discussion, the age of the universe can only be accurately calculated if there is an error of a few thousand years. The possibility of another species measuring a different age for the universe exists, but we cannot be sure that their measurement will be the same as ours.
tonyxon22
Ever since Einstein showed us that time is relative, and that there is no such thing as independent time but a space-time fabric, and since we’ve got experimental results about the dilatation effect that speed and gravity/acceleration have on time: Is it OK to say that the universe started 13,79 thousand million years ago, as an absolute value? First of all, in our current understanding of the universe with a tetra dimensional system of coordinates, only one coordinate (in this case a date) is not enough to fully define an event. On the other hand, one could say that the BB happened 13,97 thousand million years ago in the time coordinate, and everywhere in the universe in the special coordinate… That seems fair enough.

But regarding relativity, I wonder about the possibility of someone in a different frame of reference measuring the exact same moment for the BB. As I understand, the relativity says that simultaneous events in one reference frame are not simultaneous in other frames moving relative to the first.
Now, I know that maybe the effects of time dilatation are not big enough to be perceived over the current precision we have on the calculation of the age of the universe (although it occurs to me that it could be big enough in some particular conditions such as near the event horizon of a SMBH), but for this question to make sense (if that is possible at all), I would like you to play along with me in the two following assumptions/considerations:
· Let’s imagine that we had technology to the measure of the age of the universe more precisely (say an error in the order of thousands of years instead of millions)
· When I refer to “someone in a different frame of reference” I am talking about another highly evolved and intelligent species with our the same curiosity about the origin of all, but everywhere in the universe that could be considered another frame of reference (I think a planet close to the center of our galaxy could do just fine).
Can we be sure that their measure of the age of the universe will be the same or close to ours?

P.D.: I don’t know if this question fits better here or in the general relativity section.

Thanks and best regards,

Space news on Phys.org
Thanks!

FAQ: About the effects of relativity when measuring the age of the universe

1. How does relativity affect our understanding of the age of the universe?

Relativity plays a significant role in our understanding of the age of the universe. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, time is not absolute and can be affected by gravity. This means that the passage of time can vary depending on the strength of gravity in a particular region of space. Therefore, when measuring the age of the universe, we must take into account the effects of relativity to get an accurate estimate.

2. Can relativity affect the observed expansion rate of the universe?

Yes, relativity can affect the observed expansion rate of the universe. According to the theory of general relativity, the fabric of space-time is curved by the presence of matter and energy. This curvature can affect the expansion of the universe, making it appear to be expanding at a faster or slower rate than it actually is. To accurately measure the expansion rate of the universe, we must consider the effects of relativity.

3. How does the concept of time dilation impact the measurement of the age of the universe?

The concept of time dilation, which is a consequence of relativity, can have a significant impact on the measurement of the age of the universe. Time dilation occurs when an object is moving at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. This causes time to pass slower for the object, making it appear younger than it actually is. When measuring the age of the universe, we must account for time dilation to get an accurate estimate.

4. Can relativity explain the observed expansion of the universe?

Yes, relativity can explain the observed expansion of the universe. According to the theory of general relativity, space-time can expand or contract depending on the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. This expansion of space-time is what is causing the universe to expand at an accelerated rate. Without taking into account the effects of relativity, we would not be able to fully understand and explain the expansion of the universe.

5. How does the concept of cosmic inflation relate to relativity and the age of the universe?

Cosmic inflation, which is a rapid expansion of the universe in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang, is closely related to relativity and the age of the universe. According to the theory of general relativity, the universe underwent a period of inflation due to the presence of a repulsive force. This rapid expansion has a direct impact on the age of the universe and must be taken into account when measuring its age.